AUD$460+ item Missing.

s021429
Community Member

I bought an $460+ canon lens and the seller post it with regular parcel + tracking no.

The tracking no. shows that it was delivered on 4th Jul, but no one at my place received any parcel.

Someone was present at home at the delivery time. And we are 100% no one drop any parcel on the day.

What can I do? 

The seller show a receipt of postage, but it does not show that he put the right address on the parcel.
How can I be sure he did send the item to my address?
And for such an expensive item. The parcel should require signature on delivery?

I paid $25 for the postage, and the recipt the seller show me only cost him $16.
The postage fee i paid was more than enough to pay the extra cover and signature on delivery.
But he did not do so. And he said he was too rush in he post office.

Is he responsible to the parcel missing?

What can i do...really...

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

AUD$460+ item Missing.

If the tracking shows delivery to your address or even your suburb then you will have a fight on your hands. If it does not mention your address or suburb then I would open a dispute for item not received in Paypal, if the seller responds by giving Paypal the tracking number give Paypal a call and tell them the tracking does not show delivery to you. You may have to call back more than once and ask to speak to a supervisor but be polite but insistent. If it does show delivery to your address in the tracking then your beef is really with Aus Post however even if they admitted liability they would probably only pay $50 as the parcel was not insured.

Your only other alternative is if you funded the payment with a credit or Visa debit card you can contact your bank and ask if you can do a chargeback.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

AUD$460+ item Missing.

its the buyers responsibility to request signature on delivery if its not in the original price for postage.

buyer cant say i paid $25 for postage so why didnt i get signed for?

on an item of such expense i cant believe you didnt request sign on delivery.

on the other hand had i been the seller i'd not only have contacted the buyer to offer free sign on delivery but also free insurance for good measure.

a lesson learnt here, i hope you get a good outcome.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

AUD$460+ item Missing.

Hope it wasn't the last seller to leave feedback for you as they are now NARU.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

AUD$460+ item Missing.

Everytime I buy an expensive item, the seller offer free signature on delivery. Thats became a common sense and the seller did not contact me before he sent the item out. He said that he was in a rush at the post office. And why the seller do not have to show proof of actual address they sent to? They could have sent to another address with the same suburb... 

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

AUD$460+ item Missing.

What about if I paid by paypal with a debit card?
Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

AUD$460+ item Missing.

like i said, its your responsibility to ask for sign on delivery if its not offered in the original postage detaila of the listing.

this should be done before you pay for the item.

dont expect the seller to do it for free, they have no obligation to do so, so expect to pay extra.

what other sellers have done for you in the past has nothing to do with any purchase from any other seller.

why the seller does not have to show proof of address of delivery? its not in the ebay rules.

you can ask for a check of address but you cant demand it.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

AUD$460+ item Missing.

If it is a Visa debit card then you are OK.

If a Mastercard debit card then it is up to your bank...some are OK others will not do it.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

AUD$460+ item Missing.

@davidc4430 wrote:

like i said, its your responsibility to ask for sign on delivery if its not offered in the original postage detaila of the listing.

this should be done before you pay for the item.

dont expect the seller to do it for free, they have no obligation to do so, so expect to pay extra.

what other sellers have done for you in the past has nothing to do with any purchase from any other seller.

why the seller does not have to show proof of address of delivery? its not in the ebay rules.

you can ask for a check of address but you cant demand it.

No it's not. It is the seller's responsibility to include SOD if that is what the item requires, not the buyer's to ask for add-ons at extra expense. In this case insurance would have been the go and the seller should have included that in the price.

I suspect the buyer will win in this case.

Especially when' the PO was busy' is used as an excuse for not providing the service they implied they normally use for this level of goods. And implicitly charged for.

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

AUD$460+ item Missing.

@davewil1964 wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

No it's not. It is the seller's responsibility to include SOD if that is what the item requires, not the buyer's to ask for add-ons at extra expense. In this case insurance would have been the go and the seller should have included that in the price.

davidc is (legally) correct. 

If a seller hasn't advertised SOD as part of the service and the buyer requests it, the seller is obliged to provide it - if they don't, they are significantly more liable for things if something goes wrong.

If the buyer accepts the postage service as is, with SOD not advertised as included and it's not used, the liability is actually with the buyer (I'm speaking more specifically about how this scenario would be handled in a court).

That being said, I would follow PJs advice and dispute via PayPal, something isn't quite right here and PP seem to require more evidence for proof of postage than eBay requires for proof of delivery. 

Message 10 of 22
Latest reply