Advice needed re probable fraud

I paid for an item on 10th July via paypal and had no communication from the seller until I requested seller details from Ebay on 11th July.

The item was listed as being in Port Germein SA as was the seller.

I was told the item would be posted the next day ( 12th July ) by registered post and I requested the tracking number.

Today ( 17th July ) I received an Auspost express post platinum envelope with no return address.

I was suspicious of the parcel as it was very light and felt like there was just a piece of paper in it rather than a 10 gram item.

I videoed myself opening it and all it contained was an advertisment for holidays in Darwin.

The fact that some unknown person paid $13.50 for the prepaid envelope to send me an unsolicited sheet of A4 paper rang alarm bells so I tried tracking it via Auspost but it didn't show the originating location...only the closest main post office to me and then my local post office.

I tried the main Post office near me and they couldn't do any better apart from telling me it was not purchased. or lodged there.

Phoned Auspost and they could not track it to its origin either.

I have sent another message via ebay to the seller requesting the tracking number but really I'm pretty sure I have been the victim of internet fraud.

I tried the phone number Ebay gave me for this seller but it is a fake...Telstra have confirmed it does not exist.

The seller has just updated the details, after I requested the tracking number earlier today, to say that the item was posted today (17th July) but has not given me a tracking number as I have requested on 2 occasions.

I have just requested the tracking number again.

Any advice on what I should do now?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Open an item not as significantly described dispute (in the "resolve a problem" drop down box, next to the item in "my ebay").

Stop wasting your time trying to confirm the origin of the envelope - who cares?

Clearly and concisely explain the problem in the dispute.

Ask for a full refund.

If you don't get   a reply or refund from the seller within 2 days escalate to a claim.

Paypal will then decide the outcome.

If you can upload a pic of the empty envelope so much the better.

Keep the envelope and piece of paper as you will probably have to return it by registered post to the address that paypal gives you. Yes, nonsensical I know, but it is easier to play this by paypal's rules than try and get an exception which will cost you many frustrating hours on the telephone and probably jeopardise your case by trying to be "correct" even if in the end that doesn't matter.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

Also make sure that you in your dispute explain that the sellers phone number doesn't exist as incorrect details of address and phone number etc. will go srtongly in your favor - this is not allowed on ebay.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

and please, when paypal tell you to 'return the not as described item' you do so by registered post to the address paypal give you... and keep your receipt, handstamped and dated by the post office, it is your guarantee of your refund!

goodluck

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Please tell me this was not the silver bullion. If it was, open INAD dispute, (although the trick to the plan may be that you have indeed recieved and signed for an item the seller has infact sent and can prove posting,) but clever you, videoing opening it was a good idea. I think the scam may work thus: you sign for a parcel, they have proof of posting said parcel, seller wins dispute unless you can prove INAD - and that would be hard to prove had you not done what you did. You have hopefully covered yourself well enough, someone else here will have better advice soon I am sure

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the surface it appears that this rogue has simply tossed the Platinum satchel into a post box in which case he/she has no proof of sending.

Poetic justice if you could go for 'item not received'.

Unfortunately you can only open one dispute.

What was the item listing number ( or first 20 characters of the title ) ?

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Platinum envelope. Sorry, not sure if you can just toss these into a posting bin.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Report the incident through this site:

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/cscp/eCrime/internet/report/

that is Queensland police, but there are links to report on line fraud everywhere in Australia.

Open PP case and then call PP and explain what happened, and that you are reporting it to police.  There is no way you should be required to post the empty envelope back.  It is not item not as described this is fraud.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

No it was not the silver bullion...it is worse than that !...$500 worth of worse.

I'm glad I listened to my internal warning bells about the parcel and videod myself opening it...might be a lesson for us all there.

I have now eliminated the only other item I'm waiting on by getting the tracking number for it and confirming it has been sent,

That only leaves 1 item not received ( unless you call a A4 advertisment "item received" ) and the seller will not respond to me in any way or provide a tracking number so I have opened a dispute as advised...thanks everyone for the advice.

This is my first bad experience on Ebay since I joined and it's enough to put me off for good.

Regardless of the outcome I will be making a fraud report to the Police and it should be easy for them to track him from the bank account linked to his Paypal account... will they bother though !

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

Good for you, I am so amazed that you thought to record what you did, fantastic, and good luck;-)

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 10 of 26
Latest reply