After auction end, seller insists I pay for tracking from US to Australia

I received a message from a seller  telling me I have to pay $17 for shipping with tracking otherwise shipping would be at my risk. Shipping in the listing was shown as $2.50, but the item listing does say tracking is mandatory for sales exceeding $30 including shipping. My winning bid was $22.50, so with the quoted $2.50 for shipping, the total is well below $30. But I strongly suspect the seller is adding the $17 to my winning bid, not the $2.50.  Are eBay sellers allowed to do this sort of thing?  I want to know before I respond to the seller's demand/request. Thanks

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Was the $2.50 shipping for internal to the US only.  sounds cheap otherwise

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Adding tracking to the parcel is for the SELLER'S protection, not yours. Just say that you're only willing to pay the $2.50 as shown in the listing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Regardless of the item price, any seller who is going to sell overseas should have an understanding of the base postage price, as it can be really expensive to send with tracking. For example I know that it will cost around $24 for me to ship to the USA and several other countries, so that is set up as one of my postage policies. 

Sounds like the seller doesn't have a clue what they are doing, or they're dodging the system.

You are under zero obligation to pay anything more and the seller should not be asking for anything extra. 

If the seller wants to have tracking, they need to build it into their item price or their postage, as mentioned, not ask for it afterwards or under certain conditions. Tracking is for the sellers benefit, not the buyers, as  it protects the seller if an item goes "missing".

Tell the seller you are only willing to pay what is owed, otherwise they need to cancel the transaction. Don't get into a war of words with them. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Wow, they have quoted exceptionally low postage, considering it is an international sale.

They haven't said they won't post, just that at the cheaper price, it would be at your risk as there would be no tracking.

This isn't actually true. It would be at their risk because if it doesn't arrive, you could open an ebay claim, but don't mention this to them.

Just respond politely and say thank you for the offer but you have decided to stick with the $2.50 postage option as per the original sale terms.

I have in the past had a few untracked items posted to me from USA and there has never been a problem so I think your purchase should arrive without any hassles, with or without tracking.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply