Am I being scammed? The seller deleted the account and tracking number was not detected in AP

danama-724
Community Member

Hi,

I am still new to eBay and have recently purchased sports equipment from <Removed>. I was quick to make the purchase and failed to realize that the account was just made and I was the only person to purchase that item. I paid by Paypal and the item was said to be shipped the next day by Australia Post (AP). I got a notification from eBay of the tracking number and estimated time of arrival, however the AP mobile application and website couldn't detect it. The seller acccount and item was removed from eBay the following day. 

I would like to ask anyone if they know what is happening and am I possibly getting scammed? Thank you all and have a good day!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Am I being scammed? The seller deleted the account and tracking number was not detected in AP

Since you paid with Paypal you are covered by both eBay's MBG (money back guarantee) and Paypal's resolution centre, If the item doesn't arrive by the last ETA given by eBay then open a dispute with their MBG and you'll get your money back.

https://pages.ebay.com.au/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

pedi's advice above is correct, but I'd suggest it's worth being a little proactive with this kind of situation and contacting eBay about it.

Get onto eBay's customer support chat via a computer, and ask them to refund the payment. They won't (unless you're very lucky) but will reassure you you're covered by eBay's MBG, and tell you to contact them again once the due date for the item has lapsed. Thank them and close the chat.

This will do a couple of things; firstly, you'll get an email of the chat transcript of an eBay CS rep promising you're covered - that's great, because you don't need to worry about being covered and will sleep soundly!

Secondly, this might help you short circuit the refund process once that due date has lapsed. If you get back onto the chat support then, and refer the new CS rep to the previous chat (there's a reference number in the email they'll have send you), the new rep might just refund you immediately and save you the extra steps involved in the MBG process.

Either way, you'll get refunded, so don't stress about it.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If ebay removed the listing and the seller you should have received an email telling you that you can claim a refund.....and I believe it can be done immediately without waiting for the estimated delivery date to pass.

At lest it is worth a try.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Hi all,

I had bought an item and seller deleted items and his account. I’m unable to contact him and when I click it says it isn’t covered by money back guarantee.

I paid mostly via gift cards. In original email it says I would be covered. 

im contacting ebay tomorrow as they currently shut. If I loose the $50 + I will never use gift cards ever again but only PayPal. Very upsetting!!!

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Seller cannot cancel his account so quickly. It seems that eBay must have deleted the account which means that eBay has detected an unacceptable risk with the seller.

When did you make the purchase? What was the estimated delivery date?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Let us know how you get on in ebay chat as I would have supposed you would be fully covered because after all, you paid in full for the item!

I agree with countess that it sounds as if ebay deleted the account. In any case, if you don't get the item you paid for, surely that should qualify for the MBG.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@graboz wrote:

Hi all,

I had bought an item and seller deleted items and his account. I’m unable to contact him and when I click it says it isn’t covered by money back guarantee.

I paid mostly via gift cards. In original email it says I would be covered. 

im contacting ebay tomorrow as they currently shut. If I loose the $50 + I will never use gift cards ever again but only PayPal. Very upsetting!!!

What category was the listing in? You can see that at the very top of the listing page. Often scam sellers will list an item in a category that isn't covered in the MBG, like automotive, so it's very important to check that when buying something that sounds to good to be true.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply