Am I paying in a reasonable timeframe?

I am new to ebay and have only bought a few items.  I am worried about if I am paying in a reasonable timeframe.  The sales I have won have closed for bids later in the evening, after I go to bed, and I do not get a chance to check until the next day after I finish work, at which time I pay straight away, so I have always paid within 24 hours.  The thing is, I have noticed on forums I have googled that sellers get irate if they don't get paid within 1-2 hours.  I want to do the right thing.. am I?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

*warm smile*

yes, you are paying within a reasonable time frame.

The warm smile was for being so concerned about the time frame in which you pay. If only all buyers were as conscientious as yourself. Lots are, I don't mean to diminish those, but it was nice to read about.

I understand how you feel, as I too like to pay instantly when I purchase something.

This is totally unnecessary, but if this does bother you, maybe a quick message to the seller when you place your bid saying, hello, I've just placed a bid, I'll be at work when the auction actually finishes, but should I win, I will pay as soon as I get to my PC after work.

The seller will appreciate it, and it will undoubtedly ease your concerns.

Happy eBaying.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

eBay give buyers 4 days to pay before a seller can open an UnPaid Item case, and then the seller has to wait 4 days before they can close the case, effectively giving the buyer 8 days before sanctions can be made against their account (non-payer strike).

I think that you should check each item description and see what the seller says in relation to when they would like to be paid.  When I sell, I ask that payment be made within 5 days.

If you are paying within 24 hours then you are fine.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

*warm smile*

yes, you are paying within a reasonable time frame.

The warm smile was for being so concerned about the time frame in which you pay. If only all buyers were as conscientious as yourself. Lots are, I don't mean to diminish those, but it was nice to read about.

I understand how you feel, as I too like to pay instantly when I purchase something.

This is totally unnecessary, but if this does bother you, maybe a quick message to the seller when you place your bid saying, hello, I've just placed a bid, I'll be at work when the auction actually finishes, but should I win, I will pay as soon as I get to my PC after work.

The seller will appreciate it, and it will undoubtedly ease your concerns.

Happy eBaying.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

My take on it (as a previous seller but now a buyer) is that if you pay within 48 hours, then you are an excellent buyer and don't need to worry about a thing.

No one can be on the computer all day and i don't think sellers would expect you to be. As long as things are paid for in a reasonable time frame, you'll be fine. On a buy it now item, it may be possible to pay immediately on purchase but as you say, with an auction you may not be online till hours later or the next day.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Yes, you are paying in plenty of time. I'm primarily a seller and I allow 4 days before even thinking about contacting the buyer. It is wonderful to have buyers though that pay quickly and I do consider 24 hours quickly.

There are times too when you may have purchased more than one item from a seller. Most sellers would prefer that you don't pay until the seller has had a chance to send you an invoice with any adjustments to the postage, as it may work out cheaper for you, the buyer.

Good luck with your future buying

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

If it is any help, here is how my daughter viewed it. She recently made her first sale on ebay and was quite excited.

She asked me when the person was likely to pay (as if I would know!).

She wasn't at all worried till about day 5, when she started to wonder if they would pay.

She then sent a polite email and they paid the next day.

So at a guess, I would say you have about 4 days before people start to wonder.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you! I love your idea about sending a message with my bid!
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Just don't worry if you don't get a reply. Many do - some don't. Either way 24 hours is fine.
Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

I think he has lost much in this biding,but you can still ask them to send it to you or report it and open a case
So far.
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I think it's great that you are concerned.     As a seller I don't worry until it is 4 days without any response from the buyer.

Keep up the good work, we all appreciate it.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply