An idea for ebay to consider

Over my time on ebay, i have purchased a few high priced buy it now items, from sellers. I have contacted them before the end of the selling period and have asked if they are prepared to enter into a layby situation for a high priced item. The sellers has been happy to accomodate such a request, in all cases it is normally only over 4 weeks for items over $1000. I have been happy with getting high priced items and not having to outlay all the cash at once, and i think the sellers have been happy to have sold their product with not too much fuss.

I just wonder if this might be a feature for ebay to consider offering sellers and buyers for items over a certain price, that are also buy it now. With the economic times like they are, more and more people are not parting with large amounts of money at once for what can seem like indulgence products, and are starting to become reluctant to put it on a credit card.

I just thought this could be a feature that may help sellers sell more, and give buyers more opportunity to buy more using cash instead of credit.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Does anyone want sellers to personally deliver as well ? Be prepared to pay for their airfares.

TCT
Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

:^O

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

wouldnt that work like a bricks and mortar shop, if you dont complete the layby you forfeit your money and the goods ?

main problem I can see is that eBay is not like a B&M shop.  When was the last time you went into a B&M store and asked to view their feedback before considering whether to buy or not?

(10 of 12)Re: An idea for ebay to considerSep 4, 2012 05:02 PM

Does anyone want sellers to personally deliver as well ? Be prepared to pay for their airfares.

Why would anyone want it personally delivered?

There are ebay sellers out there already offering what i have suggested, i dont know other apparant sellers are so against something that might help sell goods on ebay. Like i said before, it wouldnt be for all sellers, but for others it could be a way of increasing turnover.

There seems to be a mindset that something different is evil, why write off an idea for other sellers because it doesnt suit your business model.

By the way, the times i have contacted sellers before i clicked buy it now and asked if they would be prepared to enter into a layby situation has earned the different sellers approximately $3000 between them.

If i had been turned down on my requests i would have just waited until i had the money on hand and gone to a normal shop to buy whatever it is i wanted. But this way i can see something on ebay now, think i would like that but i dont have that sort of money at my disposal at the moment and still secure it for myself before it is withdrawn for sale or eventually sold to someone else.

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

There seems to be a mindset that something different is evil, why write off an idea for other sellers because it doesnt suit your business model.

I didn't say it was evil, just pointed out that if eBay involved themselves in transaction-specific payment arrangements, it would be difficult to administrate, and is further thwarted by current PayPal policies.

The main problem isn't working out the best way to facilitate a smooth transaction (two people can do that on their own, as indicated by the fact that you have successfully completed purchases under layby conditions already), it's accounting for all the things that can go wrong, and who's responsible for what if something does go wrong...

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

" Why would anyone want it personally delivered? "

Where is your sense of humour ?

Should sellers ask buyers to post their Flybuys card to them to give them rewards points as well ?

TCT
Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

Mmmm now there's an idea flybuys as well!!

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

I've never quite understood the reason for someone to laybuy something.

Why can't people put money aside into a savings account until they have enough money to purchase the item they need and then buy it?

Do you need to hand money over to another company and lose any accumulated interest you would have received if you would have just kept it in the bank?

Also, in the time it has taken to save up the money there is likely another store that may have a better deal on that item anyway.

So can anyone tell me any advantages to laybuying a product?

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

So can anyone tell me any advantages to laybuying a product?

Here's one - If a B&M store has a sale on they may allow layby on sale items.  This would be a way of securing the sale price even though you do not have enough money to buy it at the time of the sale.  Some stores let you layby with only a few dollars down to start with.

Some people can't budget. They could possibly spend the money on something else if they weren't locked into a loss if they renege. Laybys budget for them.

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply