Asked To Pay Additional Postage Fees After Already Paying

Hi all,

I just bought an item from a US seller a couple of days ago for $49.43 AUS and postage of $20.93 AUS, to arrive between Fri. 27 Jul. and Thu. 9 Aug.

The Seller contacted me yesterday and said that I had to pay for tracking for an additional $20.00 AUS, or my item would take 30 days to get to me, which is ridiculous for that much postage. It’s only a very small pack of medical eye wipes, so about the size of my palm. I paid it a few hours ago but this just doesn’t sound right to me that they need $40.00 to post something that small from the US to Australia. I’ve had items far bigger that didn’t cost that.

Is this an eBay policy now? This just doesn’t feel right and that original postage cost was to get it to Australia on international postage between those dates.

Can someone please let me know?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

A buyer is not obligated to paying more than what is shown in the listing.

Keep in mind there is a 10% import tax added by eBay.

Either choose to pay extra, have it arrive slowly or ask the seller to cancel.

It can easily be that costly if a seller uses the GSP but that would have been upfront when you paid.

With $40.93 as postage I would be inclined to ask the seller to cancel as you paid for postage costs shown in the listing with a latest arrival date of 9-8-18.

image host
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

@mirithiny wrote:

Hi all,

I just bought an item from a US seller a couple of days ago for $49.43 AUS and postage of $20.93 AUS, to arrive between Fri. 27 Jul. and Thu. 9 Aug.

The Seller contacted me yesterday and said that I had to pay for tracking for an additional $20.00 AUS, or my item would take 30 days to get to me, which is ridiculous for that much postage. It’s only a very small pack of medical eye wipes, so about the size of my palm. I paid it a few hours ago but this just doesn’t sound right to me that they need $40.00 to post something that small from the US to Australia. I’ve had items far bigger that didn’t cost that.

Is this an eBay policy now? This just doesn’t feel right and that original postage cost was to get it to Australia on international postage between those dates.

Can someone please let me know?

I look at it this way. You're entitled to get exactly what the ad promises.

I think ebay sees it that way too.

So if postage eg to Australia, is listed as a certain price and an estimated delivery date is given, then those are the conditions.

A seller can't go changing them after the sale.

If a seller wants an item to go via tracking, it is their responsibility to build that into the postage cost displayed in the ad.

I do know postage from USA can be quite expensive but what I would have done in your situation is reply that no thanks, I had paid for the item & didn't fancy paying extra so to just leave it as is and if it took a few extra days to arrive, so be it.  Mind you, I don't know how tracking alone would make an item arrive faster. Express postage maybe.

I would have put the onus right back on the seller. He could certainly post it without tracking & knowing it might get there slower but he would be putting himself at risk that you might start (& win) a case of item not received or  at the very least record that his item had not arrived in time.

That would be his problem though, not yours. I think you've paid extra for his peace of mind.

However, if you had refused to pay it, he could simply have cancelled the sale and refunded.

Guess it depends on how much you wanted the item. 

I think as you have already paid & the item may have been posted, it might be too late to do much but you can always give neutral feedback once the item arrives and say why.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, both of you.

I believe that the Seller has already posted. You’re right that they Seller should honor the pricing on their listing and I only went with them because they were $20 less than the others on eBay. Now it works out at exactly the same. I just didn’t know if some Policy had changed and I was mistaken with my rights.

I’ll be leaving them a Neutral feedback, or if it doesn’t come within the originally agreed upon date period after paying more, they’ll get a Negative. The Seller basically said that despite the original postage cost and a week delivery in the listing, I wouldn’t be getting it for 30 days. Or, I could give them more money for postage and I’d get it on time and also tracking.

I just felt like I was over a barrel with this because the item I wanted is only available in the US.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply