Asking for Extra Postage to be Paid

I purchased a coat from UK and paid up in full via paypal. Now the seller has posted item and says she had undercharged postage cost and could I now please pay her another 3 pounds. What is the Ebay stand on this and do I have to comply ?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I would say you don't. I think the seller is a bit cheeky.

If she set an international postage rate that automatically showed up in your paypal bill, then I am not sure she has a leg to stand on as you have honoured your part of the transaction.

She could have refused to post it, I suppose, and just put up with a negative feedback from you.

But you say she has posted it already.

She can't give you negative feedback, no matter what. So it is purely up to you.

The way i see it is this: My sister and I used to sell, and a few times we underestimated postage, quite badly in a couple of cases. We just wore it. It was our fault.

Plus a buyer usually takes postage costs into account when deciding to bid or not. It could be that if you had known of the extra 3 pound charge you would not have bid.

So have a think about it and what you would like to do. If it is a big item and you feel the extra is reasonable, you could pay, out of good will, especially if this is a seller you might want to buy from again.

But if it pushes the limits over what you would have bid anyway, you could reply to the seller and explain why you don't think you should have to pay extra.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I sell too and if I undercharge then I have to wear as it is my fault - tough luck for me but you learn from it but is there a specific ebay policy on this ?

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

It is unfortunate when this happens, however you do not have to pay the extra 3 pounds.

I occasionally make an under estimate for postage, I just wear it and so should this buyer in this instance. You purchased in good faith, paid for the item and that should have been the end of it.

However don't penalise the seller for asking - it may be a genuine issue for them and since they say it has been posted I would guess they have been to the PO to find that it cost a lot more than they originally calculated.

You could wait and see how much it did actually cost and then decide whether or not you want to pay the extra. As a buyer that is what I would do, but don't feel obliged.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply