Attitude?

What do people think of buying art on Ebay? I found a lovely painting by a recognised artist. Offered for $799, has been on a while/ few times. Did my homework & was auctioned last year at Lawsons for $260 and approached the online seller (business) politiely to see if he would be willing to drop the price or auction, giving the option of a certain/ quick sale. Response? told me to go and buy a print like the "poor people" and promptly put the price up another $200 ! I've been the occasonal seller myself but I would never treat people like that! What do you think?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Attitude?

I am at the point of not asking questions any more....... To many times I have asked a question and found the seller has bumped up the price!
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Attitude?

I don't understand why the price increase? If I was so "poor" I couldn't afford $799 it makes no difference if it's highter. Maybe the sellers lurking can enlighten me? or is it as simple as a 2 fingered salute? And I though the aim of selling was to sell.....

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Attitude?

I agree your attitude was extremely poor. It is actually against ebay policy to make an offer for an item if it is not being sold as a BIN with Best Offer.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Attitude?

I agree I was being cheeky perhaps but not " extremely poor". I was polite. I have often been approached as a seller with questions whether I would do  a BIN, whether I would split items etc and have considered them and have been polite back. Courtesy costs nothing.

I was once told at an open house by a real estate agent that unless we had a million dollars not to bother to look.

I often wondered if he saw the others inspecting in their thongs and t-shirts just like us the same way (we live at the beach and we knew them as doctors at the hospital). When we sold our house we didn't use him.

I was commenting more on his/her response than my igregious disregard of ebay rules

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Attitude?

Me thinks you may be quite cheeky with your listing also. Can I offer you 50c. ๐Ÿ™‚  ๐Ÿ™‚  ๐Ÿ™‚  just joking. 

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Attitude?

Please do! I'm dying for it to go! 15% off 1 c makes a great bargain!! It should make the bean counters at Ebay heads' spin!

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Attitude?

hahahahahaha ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Attitude?

@tetibird wrote:

What do people think of buying art on Ebay? I found a lovely painting by a recognised artist. Offered for $799, has been on a while/ few times. Did my homework & was auctioned last year at Lawsons for $260 and approached the online seller (business) politiely to see if he would be willing to drop the price or auction, giving the option of a certain/ quick sale. Response? told me to go and buy a print like the "poor people" and promptly put the price up another $200 ! I've been the occasonal seller myself but I would never treat people like that! What do you think?

I've quoted this and bolded two points because I want to point out both of those things are completely irrelevant. Whether it's art from a private seller, or electronics with common RRPs from a big chain seller, the price is the price unless Best Offer has been implemented (and even then sometimes the price is the price). Also, what someone else paid for it last year doesn't exactly mean much, if anything at all, and certainly doesn't mean anything regarding the seller's price, that it's too high, or what have you. If prices were always based on what someone else paid, the comic book that recently sold for 3+ million would have instead gone for pennies. I get that it has remained unsold for a while, but I'm sure the seller is already aware of that and most will reduce prices of their own accord when they decide to go for a quick sale. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Did the seller have an attitude? Yes, their comment re: poor people was unnecessary. Being able to remain calm, polite and professional even if it's the 1000th time someone has messaged and tried to haggle is all part of the job... (but just something to keep in mind, while haggling is expected and welcomed by some, to others it's considered an insult no matter how polite the approach is, so your seller may have felt they were responding in kind).

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Attitude?

I agree I was being cheeky perhaps but not " extremely poor"

I call breaching ebay policy extremely poor, Why should you not be bound by the same terms and conditions as the rest of us?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 19
Latest reply