Australia Post delivery delays

jbow3515
Community Member

I am presently experiencing an extended delay whereby Australia Post (AP) has held my parcel for 9 days at their Sydney airport depot.  This is an entirely unacceptable waiting period and I suggest that it is time that eBay Australia used their significant corporate size and influence to persuade AP to devote more resources to timely parcel delivery.

I am unwilling to make any further purchases from eBay sellers until delivery times are reduced to a more acceptable time frame.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I was not talking about further dealings with AP!

There are other Australian options to make direct purchases from i.e. Gumtree and bunnings to name but two. Further, Amazon has a more efficient delivery network.

We have other choices...

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

You can purchase from eBay as easily as Gumtree. eBay own Gumtree, and it consists of individual sellers, just like eBay.

Unless things have changed Bunnings charge an arm and a leg for delivery.

Amazon MIGHT be more efficient, but I doubt it.

With the volumes of parcels escalating due to COVID-19, it takes a while to scale up, especially in Victoria where workforces have been reduced by Government edict.

I suppose AP and all the couriers (and I'm fairly sure Amazon don't provide their own logistics in Australia) could ramp up their workforces to provide the service you think you are entitled to. Are you going to pay severance entitlements when a lot of those get sacked when things return to 'normal'? No? Funny about that.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

@jbow3515 wrote:

I am presently experiencing an extended delay whereby Australia Post (AP) has held my parcel for 9 days at their Sydney airport depot.  This is an entirely unacceptable waiting period and I suggest that it is time that eBay Australia used their significant corporate size and influence to persuade AP to devote more resources to timely parcel delivery.

I am unwilling to make any further purchases from eBay sellers until delivery times are reduced to a more acceptable time frame.

Oh, my sweet summer child....

I'm sorry, but your entire post is so incredibly naive and short sighted. 

Let's start with the first problem - why should ebay even want to put any effort, manpower and / or money into lobbying Australia Post? What do you think they can promise, or threaten? "Do better, Aus Post, or.... our sellers will continue to have free choice over who they choose to carry their packages". 

Second problem - why should Australia Post care if eBay do lobby, or even entreat, them? You do realise they are subject to government regulations over their performance standards, right? So, like... why should Aus post listen to a company that doesn't even use their services, when government regulations are currently being relaxed due to the whole pandemic thing?

Which brings me to the third problem - are you genuinely unaware of what's going on right now? I'm not talking about the pandemic itself, I'm talking about how Aus Post are currently having to deal with it. You know, the whole significantly reduced workforce thing so safety measures can be implemented, virtually no flights to carry mail between states, and significantly increased mail volume. No power in the world is going to change that. 

You can't just waltz along and go "not good enough" and expect not one, but two major corporations to respond to that in any way, shape or form. 

I can guarantee you eBay won't be interested, because it's not how they operate - they have come out and explicitly said that they intentionally introduce policies that put pressure on sellers, in the hopes that sellers will put pressure on Australia Post, so please think on that for a moment.

If you're unaware of the kinds of policies ebay introduce to pressure sellers, they're they kind that punish through arbitrary metrics rather than reward exemplary practices. 

You waltzing in here threatening to stop buying on eBay until things improve because a gift won't arrive by the time it was wanted, while thousands of sellers are getting hit with all sorts of problems threatening their very livlihood due to Aus Post delays, all while understanding the above and therefore knowing asking Aus Post to do something about it is as futile as wishing they would, is just this, basically...

nothing to do here i don't want to live on this planet anymore etc etc.jpg

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

If your idea had any significant merit and conviction behind it, you would be able to engage in good faith debate on any of the criticisms that have been raised.

Still, I suppose it's nice to know there's a shepherd privately herding people out of the forums and thus keeping the core group of posters as they are, rather than allowing free speech, healthy debate and diversity to flourish here.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

There is a huge difference between being silenced and being disagreed with.

Only one is happening here, and if you don't have anything to counter any of the point I raised except insults, my previous point about your idea not having much merit is proven.

I mean, all you've done is create a thread that boils down to "hey eBay, make Aus Post work faster and better, somehow, or I won't be buying here".

Why is that a threat worth eBay's consideration?

What can eBay do, and why will they do it?

What can Aus Post do, in the face of current conditions?

If you've actually got a decent, well thought out answer to any of those questions, I'll be all (oafish) ears.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

We all know who your private messenger is, and they have been giving poor advice on the forums for quite a while, which is probably why they decided not to engage on the forum. But that does not relate to the problems that you have stated and the more correct answers that you will get from the experienced buyers and sellers here that are not here to give a shoulder to cry on, but to give correct advice.

Latest reply

I havent commented on here for quite some time, so I am not part of the apparent troll pack, as you put it (interesting that you take the word of someone who private messages you over the general concensus of the people posting in the forum....one has to wonder why they dont just post on the thread? The only conclusion i can come up with is because what they are saying isnt factual).

But I am breaking my drought as i am absolutely gobsmacked at how someone can think that ebay should tell Aust Post to work harder (personally if i have an issue with a company then i take it up with THAT company.....but hey that is just me).

If you are going to boycott ebay cos Aust Post are so slow, and instead make your purchases from other online stores, you will get your items a lot quicker cos those stores use a different Aust Post to the one ebay uses? Or do you think Aust Post has some secret detection device that can pick out which are ebay parcels, and then deliberately hold them back?
And cos I cant work out whether you live under a rock.......
"Australia Post has recorded one of the busiest delivery days in its history, with about 2.35 million parcels and letters dropped off around the country yesterday. But the service is struggling to keep up with demand and is plagued with delays, particularly in Victoria where online shopping is booming but the workforce is limited by the lockdown."

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

(interesting that you take the word of someone who private messages you over the general concensus of the people posting in the forum....one has to wonder why they dont just post on the thread? The only conclusion i can come up with is because what they are saying isnt factual

I suspect it has to do with confirmation bias. The OP came here for support for their untenable position and got hit with facts. Whereas the PMer supported their stance, anonymously, but nevertheless gave them validation.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

@jbow.

I doubt that. See ya.

Freedom of speech is an American concept, which even then doesn't include freedom of consequences. Or even facts.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

@jbow3515 wrote:

@sandypebbles

And no, I WAS NOT expecting to wait for weeks to get my purchase delivered - FYI it is a present for a close family member and her birthday will, in all likelihood pass before I can give her my gift. The seller advertised a much shorter delivery time frame and I took them at their word.

Lastly, sellers can use commercial couriers if they choose and my experience of these is a generally quicker delivery period and they keep me in the loop with email updates while waiting.

Sellers do not quote delivery times they quote the time in which they post.  What makes you think the Seller knows how long it will take for your parcel to get to you?  The Seller does not quote delivery times and they never have, this is an "estimate" only and put up by eBay. Now you think it is your right to tell the Seller how to send, guess what, they have the right to choose the method of postage on their items, not you. Then you want to demand that eBay step in and tell Australia Post what to do. What makes you think these people should do your bidding? It is up to you to buy (or not) and listen to what everyone is telling you about postal delays and the pandemic. If you need something urgently, then go to a retal store and buy it. Your friend will understand if the gift is late, unless of course they agree with you to raise hell that things are not working to your liking.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply