BTY 9v 300mAh NiMH batteries

graham3524
Community Member

I purchased 12 of these batteries & on receipt found they were only 27 grams each in weight, indicating they contained very little active material. The listed & labelled capacity was 300mAh per battery. Charging as instructed on the label & discharging at only 10mA constant current in order to maximise measured capacity through a number of cycles resulted in a measured average capacity of 65mAh per cell. This is only 21.7% of the stated capacity. Seller offered 70% refund without returning goods which I accepted as the cost of returning exceeded the original cost of the goods. BTY batteries are a scam.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Graham

That's interesting (not that I really understood the technical stuff). But I have now twice purchased BTY batteries from different sellers on ebay to use in my cordless phone. I was very disappointed at how quickly they seemed to go flat, even though the phones are always placed back in their charger after use. The price difference between what you can get them for here, (less than $1 each) and what you would pay at a B&M store like Dick Smith's, where they are $5-6 EACH, is considerable. But perhaps buying them cheaply here is false economy.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Just weighed 3 of the Powertech 200mAh I bought from Jaycar.

They are 55 to 56 grams each.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

sparkes9669
Community Member

Thanks Graham, I was about to buy some batteries, it hadn't even crossed my mind that the quality could be dodgy. A least now I know what I need to do to test them.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply