Buyer beware of click and send

An earlier post of mine was item not recieved with click and send ..Will refresh I brought an item it didnt turn up I had an email from Aust Post telling me the item had been delivered it had not eventually put in an item not recieved .After checking all nearby address and contacting Aust Post who would not tell me anything .Paypal found in the sellers favour as the item had been delivered as far as they were concerned .Actually it was another muck up from Aust Post they had delivered the item to the wrong address ,it took nearly a month for the item to get to me and it was only be sheer luck I got it. .So I was left out of pocket to the tune of nearly $30 .Sellers response was ""you are out of pocket by $30 but if I have to brutally honest, that has got nothing to do with me" As the item was to be a gift I had gone out and brought another but because of the case being closed cannot even send back the item I brought of ebay.

So be very sure to ask if item is being sent by click and send to ask for signature required post I think it only costs 10 cents extra .But buyer beware as far as I am concerned.

And lets face it Aust Post does muck up .

And I am mainly a seller on ebay .I would never leave a buyer high and dry .as I have been left very cross with Aust Post . 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

sparkes9669
Community Member

As a buyer there isnt a lot you can do. As long as the seller has sent the item using the method of postage that you paid for as stated in the listing then it is the AP failure that is the problem.

If you didnt pay for express post or registered or person to person then the seller should be able to use click and send or any other method that they want as they are the ones that need to be able to provide proof of postage to satisfy paypal.

Issues like this when the sender has proof of postage and AP have failed  to get it to the correct address or where AP contractors are safe droping registered mail that highlight the problem with insurance of postage items as the insurance is for the sender and not the buyer.

This is even more annoying when you as a buyer have paid for the insurance and the method of delivery only to find out that the person who benifits is the seller.

If postal insurance covered the reciever AP would insist on parcels being collected instead of the risk of safe droping them and having a claim made by the receiver, as after all the seller is less likely to care if the item doesnt get to the right person as long as they can prove postage.

Until AP changes or offers insurance to the reciever postage will always be the weakest link when buying online. 

Reminds me to look into using a courier and if it would be any better.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

It's a hard one. As a seller if AP told me my item had been delivered, why would I not beleive them? If my buyer insisted it was still not received, how would I react?. I always put my buyer first, if an item goes missing, or is damaged or faulty, I see to it that my buyer receives a refund, or a replacement and then I fight it out with AP/ the courier I have used or my supplier. But I am not sure what I would do faced with the OP's incident whereby I receive conflicting info. In your case OP, seller could have been more polite, but as this was an AP stuff up, it's tricky. Glad the item finally reached you 

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

So be very sure to ask if item is being sent by click and send to ask for signature required post I think it only costs 10 cents extra .

Signature is $1.00 extra for Click And Send. But it doesn't make it any "safer", because anybody can sign for it.

As far as I can determine, the only "assured" postage method is Registered with the "Person-To-Person" option. This means that the receiver must show ID that proves that they are the addressee. This option costs $5.80 extra (over and above postage and registeration costs).

In all other postage services there is no requirement to ensure that the correct person received the delivery. Any tracking and/or insurance covers the sender, not the receiver.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Signature is $1.00 extra for Click And Send. But it doesn't make it any "safer", because anybody can sign for it.

As far as I can determine, the only "assured" postage method is Registered with the "Person-To-Person" option. This means that the receiver must show ID that proves that they are the addressee. This option costs $5.80 extra (over and above postage and registeration costs).

In all other postage services there is no requirement to ensure that the correct person received the delivery. Any tracking and/or insurance covers the sender, not the receiver.

Coops even that is not fool proof, I had an item left with the lady upstairs and I was supposed to show (photo?) ID to sign for the item.

It would seem that because the parcel guy always left my parcels with the lady he thought it would be safe to leave this parcel with her.

While it was safe and I had no problems and received my item I was really annoyed that it was left with this lady rather than me going to the PO and signing for the item.

While it was all done with good intentions it should never have happened.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Express post doesn't cover the seller as its only trackable to nearest delivery centre,NOT the actual buyer.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I had an international signature on delivery parcel left in my letterbox just this week. I'm a bit cross as I paid extra for the service, but my parcel did arrive safely.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Your beef should be entirely with AP, it was their stuff up and the seller did absolutely nothing wrong and even if they had paid the extra dollar for signature it would have not made any difference as anyone at the address the postie takes it to can sign.

There is no way the seller can be at fault in this case, as far as they know they paid AP to perform a service and that has been done. How on earth could they make a judgement as to if you were telling the truth or not? They have to depend on AP for that.

As to Paypal they too have to depend on the AP tracking info, imagine the claims they would have to pay out if every scamming buyer thought they could claim for a parcel that showed as delivered? It would technically be possible to win a claim from Paypal if you were prepared to put more than thirty bucks in time and effort into convincing them you had not received the parcel by reporting it as stolen to the police thus getting a crime number and provideing a Stat Dec to confirm that you had not received the parcel and that there was nobody else living in your proerty who may have accepted it.

As it is you now have your parcel and should certainly put in a written complaint to AP.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply