Can a seller refund your payment , because he is not happy with the price it was bought for?

The seller has refunded my winning payment, stating that the item was worth more and as such is going to re list it , is this a normal practise? Or has anyone else come up against this?
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Can a seller refund your payment , because he is not happy with the price it was bought for?

Leave a neg feedback to warn others

Seller does not complete sale when price is too low.

It is a policy violation for sellers to do this and items are only worth what buyers will pay not what the seller thinks they are worth.

If they send a request to cancel the sale decline it as you do not agree that it should be canceled.

There is little else you can do so move on and look else where.

Sellers should not start an auction any less than they are willing to sell for if the item only gets the one bid.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

barbb33
Community Member

Hi,

Top tab on the right hand side is Customer Support.  There are alot of answers there.  This is what I found for your question.

Here's what we found for "Cancel Purchase" [ Previouspage ]

If you are a buyer and wish to cancel a purchase, you will need to contact your seller to see if they would be willing to cancel the transaction. If the seller doesn't agree to cancel the transaction, you'll need to honour your purchase and pay for the item. If you don't pay for the item, the seller can open an unpaid item case.

If you are a seller and have sold an item but you no longer want to complete the sale, it's best to contact your buyer and explain what's going on. The buyer might release you from your commitment to sell the item. If the buyer agrees, you can cancel the transaction and receive a credit on your final value fee. If the buyer doesnโ€™t agree to cancel the sale, you will need to complete the transaction.

Recently I wanted to retract a bid as I had made a mistake and I discovered what to do in Customer Support.  There needs to be an agreement by both parties otherwise the transaction must go ahead.  You may have to open a case against the seller, but try communicating first what you want to happen.

Hope this helped!

Barb.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Unfortunately you cant force the seller to sell.

my advice is give this seller the feedback that his non performance as a seller is.

seems some sellers just don't get it. start auction at the min price you will be happy to sell item at. that would save many buyers waisting there time bidding on an item only to be informed that seller wont accept the price auction ended at. 

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I'd decline the cancellation, open an item not received, and leave appropriate feedback (not sure if you can open an INR after a refund?). This practice puts buyers off of buying on ebay and hurts legitemate sellers, not to mention being downright wrong! All my listings start at my reserve, and yes, sometimes they only get one bid, but that's better than not making what I wanted for them. There's no excuse for not honoring a sale, it's terrible customer service.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

You cannot open a dispute if a refund has been given.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Does the 'non performing seller' dispute still exist?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I am not sure if it still exists "officially" Bump, but there have been reports for some time now that it is not very effective anyway.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Barb,

I had the winning bid and paid straight away, the seller contacted me after a couple of days to say there would be a delay in posting the item as he had been called away to work in Sydney for a week -- but would post the item on his return, I sent a reply saying this wasn't a problem and would watch the mail, then about a week later I got a message from PayPal saying that he had refunded my money

- when I contacted him he said that the item was worth more and he was going to relist it when he got back to Melbourne

thanks for your interest, this is my first negative purchase from the Ebay site, so I won't let this seller put me off:-)

maxine

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply