Discount for CREDIT CARD information

wesleypaul
Community Member

I have noticed that a new trend is appearing on the sale advert refering that you can get a discount if you use whatever code, when applied on the pay now page says that you can only get the discount if you use your credit card. 

Well there is a reason why PAYPAL exists and that is your credit card info is not passed on and that you have protection from liars and theives. This new system does not protect you because your personal information was just launched into the ether should you leap for the discount.

Buyer beware.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I agree, that is one of the main advantages of paypal, that you are not sharing your credit card information with dozens of different companies.

But I am intrigued by an ad/notification I just saw come up when I logged into ebay this morning. It was about 'a new way of selling' that they touted as a great improvement (aren't they all!).

They said sellers were to be paid directly from ebay, after fees etc were taken out. No more would the funds automatically go to paypal. Everything direct through ebay now. I presume this is because they have parted ways with paypal.

And this would be oh so much better for buyers because they could now pay in lots of different ways, including credit card, bank deposit, after pay and so on.

I guess my query about it is this: If ebay is promising buyer protection (and it does) then if they are offering customers different ways to pay then surely these different ways should also be covered by ebay, if they are done online through the ebay website? Maybe they now are or will be, I don't know

I haven't been a seller for years so I am not up to speed with all the changes but if all sales with online payment are going to go through ebay, rather than direct through the seller, then maybe credit card details will not be shared with every seller you buy from, maybe only ebay would need that info?

I know someone who sells regularly and that person told me they wouldn't have a clue how customers paid now or whether customers had used paypal or not. That seller is on managed payments.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

What I find hilarious is all I've seen about these discounts for using credit cards is a mere $5 off.  Whoopty doo.  Save $5 and potentially lose your buyer protection.  No thanks!

What I also find annoying since eBay's relationship with PayPal ended and presumably also because of the managed payments system is that PayPal notifications no longer say what the purchase is for because I'm not paying the seller apparently.  I'm paying eBay.  I don't file these receipts and related buyer notifications until my purchase has arrived and I've provided feedback.  So I have to look up the item ID or match the price with my document records so work out what the receipt is for.  Grrr. 

Another thing I don't like is purchases from overseas stay in their currency and I've got to fish for the Oz price to add to my records..and it is usually only the total amount spent not a breakdown of items, postage etc.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply