Ebay doesn't care if a seller repeatedly threatens physical violence

Does Ebay care if members abuse others and repeatedly threaten physical violence? I have to answer No, they definitely don't.  I made a small purchase and when the order arrived only half of what I ordered was in the envelope. I sent the seller a polite message and asked if he would send the remainder. He replied that he would. Shortly after I received a nessage from  Paypal telling me that I'd been given a refund. I told the seller I would have rather he send the missing parts. The seller immediately launched into a volley of fould language and threats of physical violence in over 40 emails which he continued to send until after 2am the next morning.

He told me he was flying up the next day to "Smash me" and teach me a lesson. He also told me he was arranging for his friends to pay me a visit. He rang my wife and abused her when she told him I was ill in bed and suddenly he assumed I was a schoolboy and my Wife was actually my Mother. He told me he was going to be waiting at the school gate the following Friday. His emails were gradually turning into more and more threats and more strange. He was flying up the day before, the following day, the following week and on Friday. I was getting the impression he had completely lost it. He informed me he was the one who would start it and it wouldn't be over until he saud it was over.

Things were turning into a nightmare so I rang the police. Three police officers turned and interviewed me and took copies of the emails. They showed great concern but obviously they couldn't really put my wife and myself under protection for a week.  Basically I was told there little I could do apart from getting an AVO at the local courthouse. They advised me to contact Ebay and if possible get the seller's name and address, I already knew this wasn't possible, but I did go ahead and inform them of the situation. They told me they would be taking action and in no way do they allow anyone to threaten members. My only course of action was to leave feedback telling others what had happened in just a few words.

I wrote to the seller as the police suggested and told him the police had been contacted. Very quickly he replied saying things like "us servicemen should stick together" and he loved me and only got upset because of his PTSD. He had mentioned earlier that he was an ex- commando in the SAS. Personally I found this hard to believe, SAS personell are taught to handle conflicts, and nothing he said earlier appeared to be done with any hint of self control. But obviously the mention of police made him change his tune, even though he said he could handle them with no worries. I'm 70 years of age and my Wife is 73 neither of us had any sleep and to be honest we were scared. The police promised to keep sending a car past our house and if anything happened to use the Medialert I have. 

So I left the negative feedback, I could hardly leave any positive, even though he sent me the missing parts and a full refund. At no stage did I encourage his behaviour, in fact in all I sent only 4 emails total. Ebay in their wisdom decided to remove my negative feedback and he's happily selling. Possibly because he pleaded it was his supposed PTSD which caused the problem. I'll definitely remember that one, PTSD made me do it. So Ebay believed him with no proof, just his word. It makes no difference if he thought I was a schoolboy and was silling to take me apart at the school gate. No, I'm a disable war veteran on a war service pension, confined to bed. 

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Isn't that part of the definition of a sociopath?

Message 31 of 43
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

Literal spoiler below. In both senses of the phrase. Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler
It also happens to contain one of my more recent favourite quotes: "....niceness does not equal goodness. Niceness is a decision, a strategy of social interaction; it is not a character trait. People seeking to control others almost always present the image of a nice person in the beginning." 

Spoiler
Oh, that is true, very true. The N-factor can be either a deliberate or a subconsciously chosen strategy. In an ideal world, N=G and G=N, yet I have known people who are very high-factor G who don't convey the N-factor. They tend to be called "blunt" or have it said that they "don't suffer fools", or some unrelated and less flattering terms. People who use the N-factor will appeal more than those with a low N-factor, but that doesn't mean they are reliable, generous, honest, etc...
Message 32 of 43
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I think it can be an indicator, but not necessarily defining.

Though, it's a decription that perfectly covers Nice Guys™, too, and that's more of an indicator of immaturity (in one form or another), rather than sociopathy.

Message 33 of 43
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I think it's probably part of it, because sociopaths must mimic empathy. Therefore they won't produce facial expressions, tone of voice, communications and behaviours that come from a genuine niceness-driven desire to help others or be pleasant to know. But niceness can be (and probably often is) a business strategy. Very few business campaigns would take the path of royally peeving potential customers.

E.G., new company producing anti-perspirant... Projected advertising focus: tell potential customers "You stink. You're a disgrace. And you probably wouldn't know what to do with one of our anti-deodorant, anti-perspirant devices even if you could afford it." Would it work...?

Message 34 of 43
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

@davewil1964

E.G., new company producing anti-perspirant... Projected advertising focus: tell potential customers "You stink. You're a disgrace. And you probably wouldn't know what to do with one of our anti-deodorant, anti-perspirant devices even if you could afford it." Would it work...?

Listerine employed a strategy kind of like that, though perhaps not quite as in your face (honestly, an ad like that would amuse me, and probably intrigue me because of it). Listerine's was a fear-based campaign from the beginning, playing on social anxiety - and they coined the term halitosis because it sounds like a medical condition people consistently suffer from, rather than just someone who had seafood or a lot of garlic in their meal, and therefore it was more alarming that "yo breath is [temporarily] stanky". 

Message 35 of 43
Latest reply

I have a new idea... The N-factor as a purchasable commodity!

Do you suffer from genialosis?

Studies show that 8 out of 10 people have less than optimal quantities of geniaphilic particles. Your personal life and professional success can be damaged by this lack.

To avoid depletion of these essential particles, don't delay - deal with genialosis today! Geni-in-a-bottle is the only product tailor-designed to assist so that you can start enabling geniaphilic particles rather than destroying them. ACT NOW!

Message 36 of 43
Latest reply

Too much info !

Trying to enjoy a glass of Taylors Shiraz here and cheese on crackers. (Not camembert, sliced Brie from France)

image host
Message 37 of 43
Latest reply

Brie? Did you say Brie?

Brie with Shiraz - mmmmm.

Message 38 of 43
Latest reply

I found this policy on eBay earlier tonight, which I thought would be useful:

We don't tolerate threats of physical harm using any method including by email or on our public message boards (such as our discussion boards, Answer Centre, and other community areas).

Example: "If I don't hear from you by tomorrow about the item I purchased, I will come over to your house and break your legs."

If you receive a threat, please report it to us immediately. Also, report it to local law enforcement. In addition to contacting law enforcement, you should consider contacting your local phone company if the threat was made by telephone or the other member's Internet service provider (ISP) if the threat was made through email communication.

If, through the email evidence you provide, we confirm a serious threat of physical harm was made, the offending member's account will be indefinitely suspended.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/membertomember-contact-policy?id=426...

(expand the "threats" heading). 

Message 39 of 43
Latest reply

"Hey again, ummm....just wondering who your internet provider is...no special reason....."

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 40 of 43
Latest reply