Ebays ecommerce system failing

shyguyz
Community Member

Please tell me its not just me, its the 2nd time in 6 months this has happened to me, ebay CS does not have any solid answers.

Adding say 10 items in cart. Click on pay but not all transactions are finally recorded on ebay, sometimes none, but paypal and bank credit card (cc) will process some or all of the transactions in the backend. 

Implications:

- I have to do multiple transactions to finally buy items and have to wait inbetween to see what finally goes through in ebay , paypal, cc, takes the whole day and piles up pending transactions in paypal/cc.

- voucher codes get used up have to deal with Ebay CS to apply any paypal credits.

- hope all the incorrect pending charges in cc drop off when they do data matching from ebay - paypal - bank , or if it does go through , dispute them through my cc which is what is happening this time round.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It is unfortunately not just you. I haven't had it happen to me as a buyer but it was happening to my buyers last week. One buyer made around ten transactions but only 3 were successful.

I didn't really get a straight answer for why, eBay and PayPal just blame each other. It's kind of good to know what's actually happening from the buyer's side as I wasn't getting any replies from mine when l contacted them.

Very frustrating for everyone. 😞
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Good to get a reply from a Seller and know its not only myself. All happened Last friday 26th may. 

I suppose as a seller you might receive payments in your account as paypal records a transaction but do not know who it came from or who bought what, this is why sellers and buyers reply on ebay to show, so next steps happen, item gets shipped, feedback etc.

The usual response from ebay, 'sorry for inconvenience, there looks to be a problem we are looking into it'. Ebay would take more responsibility if they were the ones ultimately selling the item or processing payment, because they can be thought of as middle men or fixers they dont have to take action or be worried about this problem.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

If you are paying multiple sellers through the Cart the transaction will ALWAYS show as Pending no matter what funding source you use.

When the payment completes you also get a warning that the transaction MAY be rejected.   I have never had this happen, ever.  As soon I get the receipt I check both paypal and my credit card and they both show that there is no problem, despite the receipt saying it may be rejected.

I have never had a payment refunded either.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thats the problem, the payment does not complete and some items still show in the cart. Those items in the receipt would eventually show as 'This order was not successful. Order cost has not been included in the total amount. The seller hasn't received payment for this order yet'.

the above is in Ebay website, BUT in Paypal and cc all the transactions are recorded and processed.

I'm glad im using cc not direct debit in Paypal, as it offers some protection. Last poster was right ebay and paypal just blame eachother and no one takes responsibility.

ebay response - transaction has not gone through therefore no items were purchased

paypal response -  transaction has been legitimately authorised, contact bank

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Update on my case. I was given Poor advice by all involved, Paypal, ebay and Bank. However I think paypal is the main culprit because they should have known better. E.g. paypal agent advised me to dispute through bank. and initially i disputed the transactions as duplicate, however the bank came back and asked me for more info. I was in the hope that paypal would take care of it, as in see in the system the error and contact each seller for a refund. They seem to want to stay out of this, so only option was to do a chargeback, where paypal stays out of the picture.

So now if I contact paypal, I cannot ask them to change anything on the case, they will refuse. All comms is solely done by the bank, 

I apologize to all the sellers involved through this thread, had i been enlightened about this process I would have gone to each seller directly, I'm sure they would have complied because I have evidence and they would not like to incur any chargeback fees. I didnt want to do this whole explaining thing but it looks like I'm forced to do it regardless.

Its bad aswell there is no FAQs or dispute process. regarding this topic on either ebay or paypal websites. I think I know why, no one wants to admit this kind of error can happen. So I had to rely on this poor advice I was given over the phone.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Could it have happened because of them doing site maintenance on Friday afternoon? I always try and avoid doing anything on ebay after about 2pm.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply