False and misleading advertising

poagi
Community Member

I am sick and tired of 'Australian' sellers selling their 'Australian' wares that have a listed item location in 'Australia' to realise that my Paypal account gets debited in favour of some 'nebulous' Chinese operation and goods dispatched from a Chinese sweat shop with an attendant displaying next to no command of the English written word. Worse, Ebay turns a blind eye as witnessed by their cryptic policies and general customer service incompetence.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Second Pic of FREE POSTAGE

Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

umm sorry,but the ones ive seen stating that they are in sydney for instance state standard australia post and not china post for a start and delvery in 3 days but after payment the date changes to reflect a longer (2 week approx.) delivery date so it is blatant lying.

@extra-keen wrote:

Yes I perfectly understand where you are coming from.

When buying, if it isn't clear where the item really is - I ask, another hint is from the postage times. Most good Australian sellers of items which are in their stock will have a 3-5 day postage time and a 1 day handling. Also their postage prices will be more expensive because of Australia Posts very high postage charges compared with those from overseas.

Good luck!

Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

vinch62
Community Member
Been trying to report items that falsely described and being fake to E bay. Why does E Bay take not action.
Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

Hi bdstratton,

So do you know if there's something we can do about it?

Annoyed to have ordered an item from someone supposedly based in victoria, only to find that the busines is based in China.

We needed the part quickly (which is why I made sure its was an "australian" business). Still waiting after over a fortnight!

All the best.

Jeff

Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

Check sellers details before ordering that's how I found out that a lot of sellers say they are in a location so you buy then find out they are not in that location and dispatching from China / Hong Kong . I just had this happen to me so now I check info on sellers before ordering eBay do nothing g and just make you wait they say they want to help and stop this but do nothing about it they are as bad as the sellers how mislead us buyers on purpose they as the sellers do like to play the dumb game and ignore what is going on , its has to be up to us buyers to become more savvy as to not get mislead and conned out of our hard earned doe . buyers be aware eBay allows misleading sellers to lie to us , so we have to check check and check again all info before ordering if we don't want to get conned ripped off etc .
Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

tyrael79
Community Member
Just had the same thing happen to me.
Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

poagi hasn't visited the boards for nearly a year and hasn't posted anything in the SIX years since they started this thread, so I doubt your support/vent/irrelevant bump will affect them at all.

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

I have spent time reading through this.

Every person complaining still keeps going back to eBay and buying stuff.

The best way to deal with this issue is to speak with your wallet.  There are other places to buy stuff online.

Ebay gets money from advertising and from people selling stuff on their store/site.  Move your genuine Australian or whatever store elsewhere, and shop on sites that are not eBay.   That will soon get them thinking.

When eBay stops making money, then they might look at doing something.  While we keep using eBay and buying from sellers on eBay, then they have no reason to change their attitude.

My trigger for coming here was obviously misadvertised products.  My example was "360 degree" motion sensors, which is physically impossible as the absoloute most they would do is what's in front, which is 180 degrees, but official specs (if you dig) from China are 120 degrees.   The other 240 degrees advertised is a lie.

Edit: As far as people replying, every reply here is a reply to the OP in some form.  In fact, unless I missed it, you can't actually just reply to the thread without clicking reply in someones response, which makes it a reply to that person.

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

You replied to me, not the OP. The person from last year replied to the OP, which I pointed out was a pointless exercise.

And I made that comment a year ago, so I don't understand why you are preaching due diligence now, when that is what has, in the main, been advocated for the entire 7 year life of the thread.

Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

@adder1975 wrote:

The best way to deal with this issue is to speak with your wallet.  There are other places to buy stuff online.

Ebay gets money from advertising and from people selling stuff on their store/site.  Move your genuine Australian or whatever store elsewhere, and shop on sites that are not eBay.   That will soon get them thinking.

Believe it or not, it's actually not eBay's job to police each and every listing to check for accuracy and honesty in the information given by the seller - think of the resources it would require.

eBay is a popular platform to sell on because it offers huge potential traffic, and their selling fees are competitive - sellers aren't going to simply up and leave to teach eBay a lesson because some buyers have had issues. I think you've underestimated the magnitude of action that would be required to get eBay "thinking" or put a noticeable dent in their bottom line.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 30 of 37
Latest reply