'Fast and Free' not sent when promised?

I bought a $400 item this week. I needed the item urgently so bought it from a seller advertising 'fast and free' if ordered before 12:00, shipped via TNT express courier. The account had low feedback, but they had sales as well as purchases and the description looked fairly professional, it appeared to me that they were a store just beginning to move their stock online. I paid around 10am Tuesday morning, well before the deadline for same-day shipping.

The item was not marked as posted, which is fine, I understand some sellers don't bother marking them as posted. But then tonight (Thursday evening, after business hours) it was marked as sent, with no tracking number uploaded. It could be that he sent it on tuesday but didn't mark until now. (or at least, that's what I am hoping happened, as the estimated delivery with express courier was wednesday to friday, tomorow is friday and I REALLY need it to arrive tomorow, that's the whole reason I bought from him instead of the more established seller who's item would not arive till late next week)

However, if this isn't the case, and he just didn't send the item on the same day as promised, but rather 3 days later (since it's now after business hours I assume it wouldn't be lodged until tomorow morning) what can I do other than leave negative feedback? Is ebay policing the 'fast and free' shipping in any way, or can anyone say they offer same day shipping and only be caught up with once their negative feedback gets high enough? If he didn't send it, then I kind of resent him having my money because the same day shipping with express courier is the ONLY reason I bought from him instead of a slightly cheaper one from a more established seller. 

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@van_werkhoven wrote:

However, if this isn't the case, and he just didn't send the item on the same day as promised, but rather 3 days later (since it's now after business hours I assume it wouldn't be lodged until tomorow morning) what can I do other than leave negative feedback? Is ebay policing the 'fast and free' shipping in any way, or can anyone say they offer same day shipping and only be caught up with once their negative feedback gets high enough? If he didn't send it, then I kind of resent him having my money because the same day shipping with express courier is the ONLY reason I bought from him instead of a slightly cheaper one from a more established seller. 

Unfortunately, there is not a great deal that can be done other than via feedback (mind you, as a new seller, a defect - whether it be a neg or low DSR for postage time - is likely to affect them for a good while to come, especially if they consistently neglect to follow through with their advertised handling time).

Fast n free isn't actually something the seller can choose to advertise, though (you used to be able to opt out of it, but I haven't seen that option for quite a while). It just 'magically' appears on listings wherever postage is listed as free, and eBay's ETA between the seller's and buyer's postcodes is no more than 4 business days (after taking the seller's handling time and shipping service selected into account), so in that sense, it's not something eBay police, more like something they bestow if the math is right. 

I'd contact the seller, both to get an idea of what's been happening, request the consignment number etc, and - since they're noobs - make sure they understand that if they haven't followed through with their listing terms, they either need to change them or get their act together.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Hope you get a "Knock on the Door" tomorrow.  Fingers Crossed for you.  Good luck. 🙂

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Ok, so he didn't choose the fast and free label as such, that makes sence

But to have it, he did have to specially choose same-day shipping, and he did specifically choose an express courier as his postage type, right? Those can't be automatic.

I've messaged him, we'll see what he says...

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Fast n Free doesn't mean the item is shipped same day or shipped by Express Post. The logo shows on a lot of our listings and we have a 2 day handling time and do not offer Express.

The definition is

eBay Fast 'N Free is a way to show buyers that an item posts for free and is likely to arrive within four business days.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/pay/fast-n-free.html

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

I would be upset too.

Fast and free is something bestowed on sellers by ebay if they offer inclusive postage, I do understand that, and normally I would not expect such a listing to arrive any faster than one where postage was listed separately.

But if this seller specifically said in their listing that payment before noon would see the item shipped via TNT express courier, then to me, that implies same day postage if you pay before noon. And express postage. It is that, rather than the 'fast and free' label, that would be upseting me because I have doubts that is what happened.

We won't know till after Friday I suppose. If you paid early Tuesday then it should definitely have arrived by Friday if you are in one of the big cities or suburbs.

There is probably only one thing I may have done differently and that is, if the delivery date was absolutely vital to you, I would have contacted the seller after buying and metnioned that I was counting on express delivery. Or I may have messaged them before buying, to get an idea of whether they thought it would arrive by Friday. Sometimes when sellers know, they will make a special effort for you.

But if the item does not arrive till next week and you find it was not sent till day 3, I would email the seller and say their terms said express delivery and that is why you paid more and they have let you down. Then I would give neutral or neg feedback and state why.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Seller confirmed that it was not shipped until thursday, blaming 'employees on sick leave' and things being crazy for the melbourne cup holiday next week. Not sure I buy it.

He asked what he could do to reimburse me. I didn't have an answer since I had no idea what would be reasonable to ask, so I sent I reply stating how upset I was about his same day delivery taking two days, and he replied saying I'd be happy with the product when I got it and making no offer of anything (not that anything would make it get here any quicker)

I feel pressured to give a positive feedback, as a seller myself I know the situation with defects right now, and he seems nice and friendly I guess. But on the other hand, maybe I could understand sending a day late, but TWO days late? That seems to me like there was no urgency at all.

I think I should leave negative feedback, but I totally feel guilty about it now! I've never left a neg before lol

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

You could do a neutral to the effect that seller was apologetic but item was not sent express post and you were let down because you needed it.

It is up to you what feedback you do give of course, but if sellers promise same day post, they need to deliver on it or at the very least, do it next day.

Just saying he was busy does not cut it and a neutral feedback (at least) might make them more mindful in future.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@van_werkhoven wrote:

Seller confirmed that it was not shipped until thursday, blaming 'employees on sick leave' and things being crazy for the melbourne cup holiday next week. Not sure I buy it.

Just speaking personally, if I promised same-day shipping and couldn't follow through on that until two days later, my buyers wouldn't have to message and ask what was going on.

It's easy sometimes to allow things to get overwhelming, sometimes delays can't be helped, but even if the circumstances were beyond the seller's control, not letting you know about it was more than likely a choice. 

I understand the hesitation to leave feedback that causes a defect, though - you'll have a few weeks to mull it over if you need to, but if the FB is fair and honest, you won't have anything to feel guilty about. Sometimes you can compromise a bit by mentioning the issue in feedback, but still leaving overall pos FB. A DSR rating of 3 or lower for description causes a defect, and a DSR rating of 1 for postage time causes a defect (so 2 stars, while still below average, is not defect-causing), and a 1 star for communication is - again - low but doesn't cause a defect. 

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I state in my listings that I post at 4pm every business day, and have a 1 day handling time. If someone pays me and I can't get to the post office for some unexpected reason, I message that person straight away offering a refund if they want it. It has only ever happened once due to a serious family emergency. And that buyer was very understanding.

If you still do want the item, yet don't want to leave negative feedback but feel disillusioned message the seller explain your feelings, ask him why didn't he message you explaining the situation. Maybe he could send you out an accessory or refund you $10 or some small amount to make up for thisinconvenience. Good Luck! I do believe he should of made you aware of what was happening.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply