Global Shipping Program put into perspective.

Here are a few tips that can make the GSP more palatable or explainable for buyers.

1.  If the GSP postage is very high compared to USPS or Royal Mail from the UK. Ask the seller to input dimensions and weight into the listing - this will usually drop the postage rate significantly (though not on heavy parcels where the GSP is usually the cheapest option anyway).

2. If multiple items are being bought as a BIN, ask the seller to make one listing of all the items so that they can be sent together and not incur multiple postage charges,

3. It's also possible to ask the seller to opt out of the GSP and send by their normal carrier - they may not want to do this as it reduces their seller protection significantly.

4. eBay opts sellers into the GSP by default, so they may well be unaware that they are even posting overseas since all they will see as a shipping address is their countrie's GSP shipping hub. Often if the buyer sends a screen shot of the postage amount they will be amenable to enact the steps above.

5. Long delivery times?  Nothing much can be done about that buyers just have to be aware that sometimes parcels will do a scenic trip of the seller's country before being processed.

6. Pitney Bowes (GSP) will confiscate a number of items that they deem to be prohibited exports, these include any knife (even a butter knife), guitars, drums etc.  When they confiscate these the buyer will have to jump through hoops to get their money back from Pitney Bowes, while Pitney Bowes will put those item up for sale on their own eBay sites.

7. Pitney Bowes will often but not always repack items, so if the item is fragile maybe think twice about it and look for a different seller of that item, if the seller won't opt out of the GSP for you.

The GSP isn't necessarily the draconian monster that some members here portray it as, if some of the steps above are implemented.

I don't have the opt-out procedure to hand so if any members do have it could they post the steps here please.

Apologies for the long post, but getting an honest perspective of the GSP to my mind is more important than arbitrarily shooting the system down, and not giving the other side of the story.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 1 of 92
Latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

He posted on another thread that he has been away for a week.....I suspect he may surface anytime now on this thread.

Message 11 of 92
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I suspect he may surface anytime now on this thread.

I doubt it lyndal, he's still having too much fun on the cherry-picker.

Message 12 of 92
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I suspect he may surface anytime now on this thread.

I doubt it lyndal, he's still having too much fun on the cherry-picker.

I'm back Padi, no cherry picking. I haven't got time today to give a decent reply. Sorry, I will later this week. Couple of things I agree with what you said. Some I don't. OK, until then. Man Wink

Spoiler
Might give Lyndal time to think up something lovely to say like she always does. Smiley LOL
Message 13 of 92
Latest reply

I can hardly think up a reply until I see what you post.

Unlike you, who have only one reply which is all negative, I answer what is written, not what I think you are going to write.

Message 14 of 92
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Unlike you, who have only one reply which is all negative, I answer what is written, not what I think you are going to write.

I knew you wouldn't disappoint me.  *Sigh*Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 92
Latest reply

Why would I disappoint you.....I try never to disappoint my fans.Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 92
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Why would I disappoint you.....I try never to disappoint my fans.Smiley Wink

Best not to disappoint then.

Message 17 of 92
Latest reply

Please 4channel, if you have nothing constructive to add to this thread at least have the courtesy to not edit the header.

I started this thread to give members the facts about the GSP, or as many as I could come up with anyway, both for and against the GSP.

Message 18 of 92
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Please 4channel, if you have nothing constructive to add to this thread at least have the courtesy to not edit the header.

I started this thread to give members the facts about the GSP, or as many as I could come up with anyway, both for and against the GSP.

That's fine padi. I'm for that. I just have a sliver of time this afternoon but not enough to give a good reply. and the only header I edited was my reply.

All I said was  .. .. ...  

I'm back Padi, no cherry picking. I haven't got time today to give a decent reply. Sorry, I will later this week. Couple of things I agree with what you said. Some I don't. OK, until then.

And certainly no more un-constructive than the below  posts ...

______________________________________________________________________

@*tippy*toes* (0)

in reply to padi*0409

14 hours ago

Whaaaaaarrrt???? No response from the anti GSP brigade? I thought it would be way too tempting.

And

@lyndal1838

in reply to 4channel

2 hours ago

I will be adding something. Later. And I'm not unapreciative of what you  have done.

Message 19 of 92
Latest reply

Time to bump this thread that clarifies some of the misinformation/limited facts in other threads about the GSP to the top again I reckon.................

Message 20 of 92
Latest reply