How do I get ebay to step in and help with a refund when they only show the recent open purchases

wag3000
Community Member

When you follow the instructions for getting ebay to step in to help with a refund on an outstanding item (still open) the process only allows you to choose the most recent purchases and even though an older purchase has significant message history and can be found on the purchase history, the seller can't be contacted as when you select contact seller ebay wants you to enter the item number and when you enter it (taken directly from the purchase infomation)  it cant find anything .  So you get stuck.

Using the ebay instructions:

1. Find the item in your Purchase History - opens in new window or tab.
  2. Select See request details (if your item didn't arrive) or See return details (if you're trying to return an item).
  3. Select Ask eBay to step in.

Step 1 - ok works.

Step 2 - I am unable to fing anything on "See Request Details" - I can find "Order Details" but that doesn't get me anywhere.

Step 3 - I never get here !!!!!

I can not Return the item as I have never receiver it.

I can't cancel it as this will loose the info and it doesn't show up as an option anyway.

This has continued for several  months now and I can't get ebay's menue system  to even identify that I want ebay to step in and help me with this?

Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

How do I get ebay to step in and help with a refund when they only show the recent open purchases

After several months it's probably too late to open an eBay dispute (30 day limit after the last ETA), you'll need to go to Paypal's Resolution Centre and try from there.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

The key is the 'several months'.

eBay only allow 30 days past their fantasy latest due date to open a case, and a couple of weeks after to escalate it.

You could try Paypal, but they only require (as per Australian law) proof of shipping by the seller.

You have probably done your dough. It pays to be cognisant of the T&Cs of the sites you use.

Edit: Snap, padster. You have definitely gotten over your weekend ennui.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

G'day dave, yep the brain appears to be functioning a bit better today.   original.gif

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

I'll try to help, though I'm no expert. 

Firstly, when you go to contact the seller, select 'this is not about an item' or something like that, it will then bypass having to put in an item number. You can then let the seller know the details.

As for the rest, can you give some more information, as in when you made the purchases, where they were posted from (domestic or international), were you given tracking numbers and if so what does the tracking say?

I think you have 60 days to open an item not received case on ebay or if that has elapsed and you paid by paypal 180 days to open a case there. I hope that's correct, but how long ago were the items posted?

Do try to contact the sellers first though

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

@11dustyattic wrote:

I think you have 60 days to open an item not received case on ebay or if that has elapsed and you paid by paypal 180 days to open a case there. I hope that's correct, but how long ago were the items posted?

30 days after the last ETA for an MBG dispute dusty as said, Paypal 180 days after the purchase date............

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@11dustyattic wrote:

30 days after the last ETA for an MBG dispute dusty as said, Paypal 180 days after the purchase date............

Thank you

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

wag3000
Community Member

Thanks all for your assistance - you have restored my faith in humanity and unlike the system help me in support - you are all real people.

It has been a very interesting exercise and one filled with frustration.

I initially started out making simple orders on ebay and from locations in China. This is something I have done often.

It seems however once your order passes a magical time in days, ebay shuts down and you can no longer get their assistance, except to contact the seller.  Who by this stage they will tell you anything simply to show they are dealing with your problem.

It does makes sense as ebay donโ€™t want to get involved in old stuff, they would have to put on more staff to handle the volume of work.

When you actually get onto an ebay chat session you can broach the topic with them and they direct you off to making a claim with PayPal which also makes sense as ebay told me that PayPal was their โ€œBank Tellerโ€ so to speak, and they would handle the claim even though you purchased the item via your Master Card and not directly through PayPal.

Well that opens up another interesting issue in that you can only initiate a claim via the PayPal web site by identifying the items from a list of your purchases that you made with PayPal and nothing else. Even a search doesnโ€™t help you.  I then requested a call-back on the issue and was advised that they would call me back in 3 min. The next try was about 10 min for a call-back, and the 3rd time was 2 min for a call-back all of which never came.  I checked the details of my phone number and it was good - Iโ€™m not sure that the call back was coming from my home country but it could have been coming from the UK.  Not too sure on that though.

It would appear that what Iโ€™m told is a simple process, turns out to be a process that is designed not to be of any real assistance.

Again though thank you all for your timely input and I hope your ebay experiences are better than mine.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

@wag3000 wrote:

.................ebay told me that PayPal was their โ€œBank Tellerโ€ so to speak, and they would handle the claim even though you purchased the item via your Master Card and not directly through PayPal.

Well that opens up another interesting issue in that you can only initiate a claim via the PayPal web site by identifying the items from a list of your purchases that you made with PayPal and nothing else.

If you didn't use your MasterCard through Paypal (or did it as a "guest" transaction through them), then I'm afraid it's not Paypal's problem and you would need to find if you can do a chargeback through your credit provider.  

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

@wag3000 wrote:

.................ebay told me that PayPal was their โ€œBank Tellerโ€ so to speak, and they would handle the claim even though you purchased the item via your Master Card and not directly through PayPal.

Well that opens up another interesting issue in that you can only initiate a claim via the PayPal web site by identifying the items from a list of your purchases that you made with PayPal and nothing else.

If you didn't use your MasterCard through Paypal (or did it as a "guest" transaction through them), then I'm afraid it's not Paypal's problem and you would need to find if you can do a chargeback through your credit provider.  

Or you can open a paypal account and transfer the transaction into it whereupon paypal will help you.  If you have any problems paypal is always very helpful.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply