How do I narrow search to safe drop only? Covid Reasons.

cbuko1
Community Member

I am high risk and trying to avoid contact as much as possible. How do I narrow the search parameters to only show sellers who safe drop? I have never had anything go missing and have an excellent record.

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Sellers don't safe drop it's the delivery persons that safe drop the parcels so if you post an item that requires a signature the postie signs for it and hands it over to the receiver but if the receiver isn't at home then it will be carded and needs to be collected from the post office or if it just has tracking then they'll leave it in a safe place

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

There is no search filter for safe drop as it is not an ebay function.

It is the delivery service which safe drops.  Over the last year all couriers in Australia as well as Australia Post have had safe drop provisions in place.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

So is there a way to narrow the search to find sellers that donโ€™t require a signature? It seems thats the reason a parcel is not left while most are left. Or a way of knowing a signature is required so I can use another seller? In these current covid times contact for me is a serious risk to my life. I doubt I am the only one concerned about this.
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

You could arrange for your items to be sent to a friend/relative and them bring to you.

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I don't look for sellers for their postage options I look for items I'm interested in then I look at the sellers postage options and if I'm ok with it then I buy.

Most parcels these days only have a tracking number which will just be left in a safe place but there are sellers that for their own peace of mind post with SOD required

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@cbuko1 wrote:

I am high risk and trying to avoid contact as much as possible. How do I narrow the search parameters to only show sellers who safe drop? I have never had anything go missing and have an excellent record.

There's no option for sellers to state safe drop - that might be seen as a possible avenue for scammers to buy their stuff and claim it was not received so I don't think eBay would go for that.

Your best bet is to message the seller first about postage, unless they do the right thing and clearly specify what postage methods they use in the listing....which in my experience a lot don't.  Ask if the item will be sent with tracking only if the postage costs suggest tracking or tracking with signature.  (A small flat item with only a couple of dollars for postage is unlikely to have either thank goodness).

I am housebound, with mobility issues and can't collect items from the post office so this is an ongoing issue for me. 

I generally try to avoid sellers that have signature required as I can't be sure what Aust Post will do re the delivery.  Recently I was lucky that one sig req parcel was delivered with untracked parcels so it wasn't carded - it was left hidden under the untracked items. LOL   A second sig req parcel was delivered by my regular Aust Post delivery contractor who knows my circumstances so he left the parcel in my usual safe place.  Mind you, I had left the screen door locked but the heavy door open so he knew I was home which no doubt helped.

I have a sign in the window near my safe drop spot setting out why I need a parcel to be left.  Of course the AP delivery people don't always read it!  Sigh. Maybe you could post a sign saying you are self isolating.

A point I will make about Signature Required is that in my experience many sellers who use this service don't seem to realise what version they have signed up for. 

There's sig req only with no possible hope of changing it, and sig req where if the buyer can request it be changed to safe drop through their MyPost account (or an email from AP) and that can be done.  If you ask for safe drop and the seller agrees he or she might write Safe Drop or whatever on the package not realising the service they have signed up for cannot be changed.  I had this issue recently and it was very frustrating.  The seller (not on eBay) even had info under their 'shipping' options that the buyer could change it to safe drop by contacting Aust Post.  This simply wasn't true at all.

BTW, any welll known company that I want to order items from regularly goes in my Sellers list - the ones with tracking only or no tracking get a note about it.  The companies that insist on Sig Req are also in my Sellers list - with a note in capitals NOT to buy from them!  Many of these companies don't mention they insist of Sig Req especially when they also offer 'Free Postage'.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

A point I forgot to mention in my earlier post. 

Recently I came across a seller who specified Standard Post Standard Delivery under postage.  However....just to make sure before I contacted them for clarification I clicked Contact Seller then Postage.....and there it was: Standard Postage - Registered.

Why they couldn't put that detail directly under the postage I don't know, but I sure am glad I looked further. Not all sellers do this though,so you can still be caught out.  Anyway I've now added this seller to my DO NOT BUY list!

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Why they couldn't put that detail directly under the postage I don't know, but I sure am glad I looked further. Not all sellers do this though,so you can still be caught out.  Anyway I've now added this seller to my DO NOT BUY list!

Ask eBay. 

The reason it displayed when you went to contact the seller and selected postage as the subject, is because they are the postage methods the seller selected for the listing, but what eBay actually displays by default to the buyer isn't within the seller's control. It's practically impossible now to select a generic postage service label, but they still display in listings (there can also be some older listings that auto-updated to an incorrect postage service).

Try clicking "see details" in the postage section to see the full, unedited version of the postage option the seller has selected.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

There are some small collectables I like where some are very expensive and not surprisingly I know of at least one seller who uses registered delivery.

So under Postage and Payments (just looked up them now) it says:

Postage and handling    To                 Service                                                          Delivery*
Free postage                  Australia      Standard Parcel Delivery - Registered          Between Thu. 18 Feb. and Fri. 19 Feb. to XXXX
                                                                                                                                  eBay FAST 'N FREE

AU $9.00                        Australia       Express Postage (Australia Post                  Estimated by Thu. 18 Feb.
                                                            Parcel Express + Signature)                        

That looks pretty clear to me.  I'm not a seller so I am asking - why can't all sellers fine tune their postage requirements like this one has, so that buyers can see upfront what the service is.

And if there is a good reason why it is not possible - why don't sellers mention registered or whatever delivery they want as part of the fine print about the item - if the method has not been mentioned under Postage and Payments? 

Some sellers fill the page with waffle but not what a buyer might really need to know before bidding or buying.

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply