How do I report a fraud seller?

huigelu
Community Member

I bought a Galaxy S6 and the seller sent me an empty envelop. Luckily I did not sign the parcel and took a photo instead.

Then the seller said his wife made a mistake and he would send me the phone next day. But no response since then.

I found that seller just registered three weeks ago and he also sold another 4 mobile phones(S6 and iphone 5s) in one week. He said that S6 is an unwanted gift. So 5 "unwanted expensive gifts" are on sale now.... I am quite sure he is fraud.

I believe Ebay or Paypal will refund me. However, I want to report the seller so that no other people would be cheated. Because if some other buyer sign the empty envelope, it is hard to provide evidence to Ebay for refund.

Be cautious about such trick. 

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are reporting the seller by opening a dispute to get your money back.

Open the dispute and escalate to a claim as soon as the system will allow you to.

But you do need to be aware that the seller may still win the dispute if they sent the item by a signature required method.  You refused to sign so the seller may win.

You should have accepted the item and then you could have opened a dispute for not as described....the package was empty.  You could also have taken the empty packaging to the police and reported him for fraud.

As it stands now you can only say you have not received the item and if the seller can prove you refused delivery you will lose out.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

How long since the seller said they'd send it? They've sold 5 other phones so will be interesting to see how the other buyers get on. If it is a scam, once you've established that for sure, remember to leave appropriate feedback. Once they get to a feedback score of -4% ebay will shut them down.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

It's a scam and you will not get the phone.

Either report it to Live Help or via the phone.

To get to Live Help just follow the first link in this guide:

To get to the phone number you need to go via Help & Contact at the top of any eBay page,(as there are

different numbers for different problems)

Help & Contact> Contact us> then select the option you need,(it should then give you a phone number).

If it doesn't give you the phone option than try another option on the Contact us option page.

They have been a low feedback buyer only and then listed 5 scam prone items,(which off course don't exist).

Classic scam set-up that keep appearing on this site,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

If you really want to stop an online thief then report them to ACORN  http://www.acorn.gov.au/

They will experience more than having their Ebay account cancelled if you do that.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Easy to put them in jail. Contact ebay for your money back and report the seller. and ebay team will contact paypal to get their bank because your money goes to their bank. Ebay will contact their bank through paypal, and the bank will give the details of the scammer. Scammer they opened bank account with their IDs card Like drivers license or passport and their address are also in there. ebay team can request that scammer’s details in paypal through their bank. And they will forward to police to arrest them with warrant because of fraudulently act and that is a crime in Australia. But Ebay works that not you. Only you can do is to get your money back in ebay.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

It is a bit late for any action now......the thread was opened nearly 4 years ago.

Please check the dates on threads before you jump in and drag them out of retirement for no good reason.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I didn’t see that lyndal1838. SORRY:)
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

I would like to see some sources for your assertion.

It is unlikely they would be prosecuted, much less go to gaol.

eBay is unlikely to pursue them, ditto Paypal. They will reimburse from their own funds.

Australian privacy laws definitely preclude eBay getting financial details from Paypal. Or a bank or any other financial institution.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Yeah its true i heared that. My friend talked me **bleep** he said ebay team works like i posted.
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply