How to turn off showing the item details of the item I purchased when giving and receiving feedback

debzt19
Community Member

How to turn off showing the item details of the item I purchased when giving and receiving feedback.  I notice that some ebayers when giving or receiving feedback, you cannot see the item they have purchased.  The feeback comments show but not the item number or details.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

How to turn off showing the item details of the item I purchased when giving and receiving feedback

You cant. Some sellers have their items listed as "private", which means it won't show up when looking at your feedback. Unless the seller lists it as private, it will be visible to everyone in your feedback, for at least 90 days. I think after 90 days, the item number still shows, but the actual item doesn't. Don't quote me on that though.

If you are wanting to purchase sensitive items, create a new account and don't leave any feedback. It won't stop the seller leaving you feedback, but anyone who has access to your account won't be able to see what you've bought.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

The details of the items you have purchasd are not visible to other eBayers. You yourself will be able to see the title of the items you've bought in your feedback, but this is not what others see.

This (below) is what others will see in your feedback. (Note: they will see the actual username of the seller; I've masked the seller usernames (to be in line with Community guidelines) in the same way that eBay masks BUYER usernames.)

Others WILL, however, be able to see what you have sold. (I've rubricated the feedback given by buyers.) Buyers' usernames, as I've mentioned, are already masked by eBay.

Theoretically it's possible for someone to match up the feedback you've given to your sellers with the feedback displayed in their feedback page, but it's very unlikely that the average person will attempt to do this. (Time-consuming, often prone to errors and guesswork, and except for a demented stalker passionately desirous of knowing what you've bought, the effort is out of proportion to the result!)

Yes, it's possible to purchase from sellers who have marked their listing as "private", but most sellers don't do that, as it looks dodgy to many potential buyers. It can be useful if you're buying sensitive or intimate items.

If you're worried about other people in your household knowing what you've purchased - for instance, if you're buying presents that you want to keep as a surprise - then just make sure that you're logged out of a shared computer and that others don't know your usename and/or password.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply