I Want To Buy An Item...But How ?

I want to buy an item listed on eBay. But the seller says they ONLY accept Paypal.

I don't have a Paypal account. I don't want to open a Paypal account.

Is there a way that I can buy this item without putting the seller at risk? Am I allowed to ask the seller if they will accept another payment method?

Any help ? 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@this-way-up wrote:

Is there a way that I can buy this item without putting the seller at risk? 

What an odd question - what risk would you be exposing the seller to if you bought their item and paid by PayPal?

Near as I can tell, the risks to the seller are - INR / INAD claims, or a chargeback.... These are generally buyer or card-holder intitiated proceedings, so are you stating openly on a public forum that it is a risk to sell to - and accept PayPal from - you? o_O

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@this-way-up wrote:

Is there a way that I can buy this item without putting the seller at risk? 

What an odd question - what risk would you be exposing the seller to if you bought their item and paid by PayPal?

Near as I can tell, the risks to the seller are - INR / INAD claims, or a chargeback.... These are generally buyer or card-holder intitiated proceedings, so are you stating openly on a public forum that it is a risk to sell to - and accept PayPal from - you? o_O

I think you have nailed the issue, d*g.

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I understand credit cards involve a small risk, but that is so whether you use them online or in person in shops.

if you prefer to pay via personal bank deposit, you won't have a real problem using ebay for most items in Australia.

Just read the ads carefully and you will see that a lot of sellers accept either paypal or bank deposit.

Buy from those who accept bank deposit and then you can walk right into a branch and pay it off that way, no credit cards or paypal involved.

If a seller does not list bank deposit, you can always ask before you bid. If they say no, then that just means you have to look elsewhere. I also think it would limit you to Aussie sellers.

Some sellers will also allow pick up, where you could pay cash.

So you can still use ebay, but you will not be able to buy from every seller, that is the only restriction.

Also, have you considered using gumtree, as a lot of the things on that require personal contact and cash payment.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

I meant to add, there is a slight risk involved in paying via bank deposit. You won't have any paypal protection.

But years ago, before paypal, I used to always use bank deposit and was only let down a handful of times. Most people are honest, but not all, unfortunately.

If you do want to pay only by bank deposit though, choose your sellers carefully, only go with those with a good track record.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply