I bought an Item for local pickup and seller isn't responding

Hey all, I recently bought an item off a seller around two weeks ago, Iit was for local pickup, however the seller hasn't contacted me since I bought the item. Ebay won't let me open a dispute either, What should I do?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I bought an Item for local pickup and seller isn't responding

@lacpate_71,

The seller only registered in 2019, and has apparently purchased one item only.

This current item ("stacked Fortnite" with multiple skins) is the only item which this eBayer has tried to sell. It's been listed twice, and looking at the first attempt one can see that it's been listed with a Buy It Now price of $1000 and a starting price of $200. No bids. When the eBayer relisted, he/she changed the starting bid to $150, but would almost certainly have still had the Buy It Now price of $1000.

My guess is that the eBayer thought that the $1000 would function as a reserve, and was confused and dismayed when the BIN price disappeared with the first bid being placed. As the eBayer mentioned that the items in the listing cost him/her around $4000, I don't think that a winning bid of $177.50 is going to cut their mustard.

Because this is a new seller, if I were you I would explain that when a Buy It Now price is placed on a listing, that is not a reserve price. I'd explain that โOn eBay.com.au, the reserve price feature is only available for auction-style listings of Cars, Motorcycles, and Boats within the Motors categories.โž (Refer the seller to eBay's Setting a reserve price help page.)

I'd also explain that โWhen you add a Buy It Now option to auction-style listings, buyers can either purchase your item right away at the Buy It Now price, or place a bid. In most categories, the Buy It Now price has to be at least 30% higher than the auction price.

The Buy It Now price is available only until someone bids on the item or until the reserve price is met.โž (Refer the seller to eBay's Selling with Buy It Now help page.)

You could also explain that usually you would report the seller to eBay (since part of the T&Cs of eBay is that the seller is to sell an item listed auction-style to the winning bidder, even if the final price is not as high as the seller would like), but that you can see that the seller is inexperienced with selling on eBay. Quoting:

โYou should only report a seller if you think they're violating our policies, for example:

• They offer to sell you a listed item outside of eBay
  • They don't intend to complete the sale
  • They sent threatening messages or used abusive or vulgar language
  • They published another member's contact information
  • The seller has provided you with false contact information
  • You suspect the seller is under the age of 18

This isn't an exhaustive list โ€“ see all of our policies.โž

(Rubrication mine.)

Also...

โWhat not to do

• Fail to inform the buyer that you are cancelling the transactionโž (Selling Practices)

Because of the seller's inexperience, I would explain that the seller should complete the transaction, and that by not completing it, the seller is risking being reported and potentially having defects on their account. I'd also suggest that if the seller wants to relist the item, he/she should set the bidding price (not the Buy It Now price) at the minimum that he/she would accept. That's the only way to ensure that the same issue (winning bid much lower than the seller would be willing to accept) will not occur.

Message 11 of 11
Latest reply