I committed to buy and when I paid there was no stock.

I made an offer on a laptop and negotiated. The price ended up at $125. I took 4 days to pay because I was waiting for PayPal to give me access to my money from an eBay sale as there was a fault and it extended. Anyway, the seller made an unpaid case and I paid after I saw that. But after I checked that the payment had gone through I noticed that the item was out of stock and it had been for 2 days. Is this allowed. I thought that me committing to buy would ensure that I had an item. Now I have messaged the seller twice and he hasent replied and the estimated delivery was today and it didn’t arrive. Is the sller violating any rules of eBay by selling them all even though I was paying.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Did it go out of stoack after you purchased it? if so I dont see the problem, your commit to buy would have reduced stock by one and may even have been the last one in stock. If it was out of stock before you bought it then it wouldn't have allowed you to buy it. 

It comes down to when you commit to buy not when you actually pay, unless as eller has it set up for immediate payment

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

@ryankepper wrote:

I made an offer on a laptop and negotiated. The price ended up at $125. I took 4 days to pay because I was waiting for PayPal to give me access to my money from an eBay sale as there was a fault and it extended. Anyway, the seller made an unpaid case and I paid after I saw that. But after I checked that the payment had gone through I noticed that the item was out of stock and it had been for 2 days. Is this allowed. I thought that me committing to buy would ensure that I had an item. Now I have messaged the seller twice and he hasent replied and the estimated delivery was today and it didn’t arrive. Is the sller violating any rules of eBay by selling them all even though I was paying.

You probably bought the last one.

It doesn't mean there wasn't one available when you bought it, just that there aren't any more left now.

Give it a few more days to arrive. Remember, you didn't pay till late so it wasn't posted till after you paid & sometimes Aust Post can run a few days late, the estimated delivery date is just an ebay estimate. Think of it as like a weather forecast-sort of in the ball park if you're lucky but rarely exactly bang on.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The seller could not have opened an unpaid item dispute if he had no stock.

Have a look at the listing.....it usually says that you bought this item but the listing has been changed so Click Here to see the item you bought.   If it was out of stock you could not have bought.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply