I'm being asked to disassemble an item to find out what's wrong. Yes? No?

An item arrived broken. Again. Déjà freakin vu. Was exceptionally well packaged so I'm ruling out transport damage at this point unless it's copped a drop from height (it's a very robust item but clearly internally damaged). Seller has asked me to take it in for a repair quote but the closest place is 1000km away and $100/hr plus parts so they've now asked me to open it myself and have a look.

I'm competent/capable but is this a good idea? If they've asked in writing does this written request cover me in the event it inevitably becomes a return or dispute? They've even sent a video link with tutorial on disassembly.

Yes? No? Thoughts?
Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

As far as I am aware, if an item is repaired/etc then it is no longer covered

Unles things have changed recently, it always used to be things needed to be returned in the condition they arrived to be covered

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

Where would I find that information/policy enigmabear?

If the seller wants to pay for it to be fixed I'm ok with that as a return won't be needed. But I'm worried if I do open it and they then call tampering and argue it even though they've requested it.

My biggest concern is another debacle on the scale of the last overseas return that I've been fighting since August and only just finalised. I think in this case the seller seems like they genuinely want to help whereas the last one was rude and abusive at every point.

The cost to send back once again would come very close to (or possibly exceed) the original purchase cost. Do not want to go through that again.
Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

Thanks but there's no mention in any of those about assessing an item for repairs.
Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

PayPal is not an option as they only cover $45 postage and this will easily be double that.
Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

exactly...it's not covered....I wouldn't risk it....you could go to help & contact and ask them
Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

I meant for a return in general I'd never use PayPal as they only cover $45 return postage. You have to pay the rest.

I called eBay and they've said with written seller consent which I have I'm able to open and investigate but still eligible to return since it was broken on arrival.
Message 10 of 15
Latest reply