Image disclaimer and copied image - allowed or not?

I was searching for a book by a favourite author, and thought I'd found it from a well known large bookseller. I clicked on the listing and noted the following disclaimer

Please note, the image is for illustrative purposes only, actual book cover, binding and edition may vary.

The image was of a hardcover with dustjacket, so I guess I can't assume that the book has a wrapper?  Also, the image was identical to that of a second seller who had a distinctive background on all their listings (so I'm pretty sure the image was originally theirs), is that also allowed?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Using someone else's picture is not allowed. If the book is second hand then any photo has to be of the actual book. If it is a new book then a catalogue picture can be used however when they say the book cover may be different it must still be there, tht is f there is a dust jacket in the picture there should be one on the book 'though if this really matters to you use ask the seller a question to make sure it has a cover before bidding/buying.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

The book was definitely second hand (acceptable condition, 1980 out of print book). The disclaimer is on approximately 1.2 million listings from this  (supposedly Australian but this book comes from the UK) seller.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

1.2 million listings.....so it's from one of the big guys....make sure you check their feedback (RED DOTS) for item 'not as described'....and if in doubt....steer clear
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

checkk this site for other options

http://used.addall.com/
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Or booko or Bookfinder.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Well, I confess, this is my buying ID, not brave enough to post on the public boards with my selling ID.

I know how to search for books on non-ebay sites, but this particular book is obscure and I'd be happy to buy to resell if I could be sure what I was getting. (I've still got my own copy which was given as a birthday present to me many years ago)

I'm also interested to learn whether my competitors are allowed to list with images that bear no relation to the books that they are listing/disclaimers that make the images worthless. If the images are really meant to be of the actual book (for non-new books), that's over 1.2 million selling violations. Is it worth my while to report the listing(s), or can the megalisters break ebay rules with impunity?

At least I'm sure that the book is a hardback, it wasn't ever issued in softback format.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

You can report but I think you'll find nothing will be done as they are a protected species. It's only us little guys that get violation slaps.
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply