Import global shipping but restrictions?

Hi everyone
Need help trying to get a chainsaw from USA but global shipping has restrictions on items like this.. and also does not allow even bidding on item.. any suggestions? Rov
Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Either try to find another seller that doesn't use the Global Shipping Program (see the screenshot below) or even better buy from an Australian seller.

Capture.PNG

Sure you might pay more here but if you buy from a genuine reseller or distributor then you'll get a warranty - which you won't get on one bought overseas.

To be honest, something like that is better bought from a real store and not on-line.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

I agree with Padi, buy one locally. Our last chainsaw, a Stihl, had issues from the get go. We took it back the day after purchase, they said they would "repair it" (which I wasn't happy about being a brand new one and all!). Picked it up a week later, still had issues, so took it back and they replaced it. If I'd bought online, especially overseas, it would have been a complete nightmare. Just the postage alone would have been crippling. It's OK to say that the seller pays the return shipping, but have you ever tried to get the money for shipping from an overseas seller? Impossible.

There are some things you should never buy on eBay. Chainsaws are one of them. If cost is an issue, Bunnings have cheap and cheerfuls that would get you through. At least that way if it stuffs up you can take it back and get it replaced. All it costs you then is petrol.

For an item like a chainsaw, global shipping would be the cheaper option. Problem is, they won't send it. Even if you can get a seller that you can buy from, global shipping will seize the item and then resell it themselves. You'll lose both the chainsaw and the money. Seriously, don't do it.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Good points Tippy, except with a chainsaw I'd be going for quality rather than price, I've had 3 so far - the first a McCulloch that lasted 2 seasons then pooped itself, the other 2 are a Kanaka (Japanese version) and an Echo both great chainsaws. But you can't go far past a Stihl.

Google reviews are excellant for research on most things, and I use them regularly.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

We go for quality over price too, but I thought maybe price was a factor for the OP if they were trying to buy from OS. I know someone who did buy one of those cheap and cheerfuls from Bunnings and it got flogged to death. No-one could believe that this thing just kept going and going. I don't think that is the norm though. Generally you get what you pay for.

My mouse sander was one I bought from the Reject Shop for $10 about 12 years ago (maybe longer). I wanted it for a single job so didn't care if it didnt last. I have absolutely caned that thing and it still keeps going. I couldn't even tell you what brand it is, but it gets used a LOT. Ozito and another brand have the sanding pads that fit it. The packs of sanding pads cost more than the actual sander! I've kept an eye on the Reject Shop for if they ever get more, but never seen them again.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

Why is a chainsaw restricted???
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:

Sharper than even a butter-knife (restricted !!!) and usually uses petrol.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Because you can injure or kill someone with it. Just like a bread and butter knife, or a drum kit, or a guitar.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

If it is a petrol one and has been used the tank will have petrol residue in it and is a no-no just as model plane engines etc.

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

Should be more done to list out the items not allowed. Someone mentioned a while ago about knives and swords being seized by PB and that the buyer would lose. Yet I was able to bid on the listing (lost the auction which in hindsight is a good thing).
Message 10 of 23
Latest reply