Increase in unreliable sellers.

I've started to notice that over the last 6 months, there is an increase in sellers who simply don't send the products.  They push the timeline to the limits, and then offer the ususal "lost in transit" excuse.  Some of them offer dud tracking numbers and all kinds of BS. 

Others are clearly stating that the item is located in Australia (with corresponding delivery dates) and then when the item takes months to get here, try to coerce you into closing the missing item case.

I've had to leave negative feedback for the first time in years because of one of these sellers.

What are they trying to achieve?  Are they hoping that people will just give up on the item, or forget about it?  Do they use the funds on the short term money market?

I'm really starting to get over eBay, after many years of enjoyment, the whole spirit of buying and selling is gone.  There are too many scammers or unreliable people.  Ebay doesn't seem to give a toss about it.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Which state are you in?  Do you buy from o'seas?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

NSW.  Generally it's the overseas sellers that are the issue.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of Chinese-based sellers that pretend to be in Australia, putting Australian delivery dates, and simply don't live up to what they promise.  It's usually the small, low-cost items, that they think you won't be bothered to follow up.  If you do lodge a dispute, they try to get you to close the case before they will either refund you, or send new items.

I have tried to discuss this with eBay, but it is impossible to find someone to talk to.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

The 'pretenders' you can always 'report item' for misleading whereabouts....and if you're in NSW I'm afraid you have AP's Chullora Sorting Centre (where parcels & letters disappear off the face of the earth) to contend with:(
Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Agreed, many from or going to NSW reporting big delays lately

Even seeing friends on Facebook talking about it (and not in regard to ebay purchases there)

So that part of it is another saga

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Conversely, in the same period I've noticed a near-exponential increase in "buyers" who purchase, then default on the transaction. They don't respond to invoices, don't respond to messages, don't respond to Unpaid Item disputes.

I've filed more Unpaid Item disputes in the last year than the previous ten combined.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

I've had the reverse experience in that I've noticed a massive improvement in service over the last few years. Things are posted much faster & I get everything I buy without having to nag about it. BUT I buy almost exclusively from Australia.

I have bought the occasional thing from China & Russia in the past & all went well too, though of course they take a little longer to arrive.

But I recently bought a couple of cheap items from China (inspired actually from someone on here who mentioned shower caps, so thought I'd try it.) I'll watch to see how they go.

My suspicion is those sellers you are having trouble with must be hoping you'll just drop it or forget about it if they are small items you're buying. If they get enough buyers who do that, even for small items, it would soon add up to a handy little profit.

Personally, I wouldn't put up with it or any long delays. No item, I'd be making a claim so I got my money back. If customers routinely did that it would keep sellers on their toes. It does to Australian sellers, anyway.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Use the funds on a short term money market? BAWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for the laugh after having a really carpy day. I needed that.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Actually, that part of my comment was supposed to be sarcastic, we are only talking about only a couple of dollars. 

I wish that 12pt Sarcastica was an available font. Smiley LOL

But I'm glad that it brightened your day anyway!

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I order from reliable websites now as ebay is simply not worth it . Every dollar and cent counts and you can’t afford to take the risk ; pity as it’s going to cause problems for the honest people .
Message 10 of 12
Latest reply