Intangible

neilonlyneil
Community Member

I was not covered by Paypal's buyer protection becuase they said the item was not tangible.

It was an iTunes card that was mailed sent via the post and could not be redeemed for reasons I will never know.

What is an intangible item?  I would have thought it was the promise of good and services - something you can not post in the mail.

But I was wrong.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Intangible

Well I would say that it was because you were purchasing credit.

You were not really purchasing the card itself (ie the piece of plastic itelf has no value), but the credit attached to the card is the item and I guess ebay has deemed it not tanglible.

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

Intangible

You know you can buy iTunes cards at pretty much any department store and supermarkets..

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

Intangible

I have always understood that electronic items or intangible, in other words it's not physical is not allowed. However if you received a card, that is tangible and I thought was allowed, at least I think so by ebay. Maybe PayPal's rules are a little different.

image host
Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

Intangible

I remember reading somewhere, that store credits/ gift cards etc are NOT covered by paypal.  You'd need to check the paypal website, but itunes would be just like any other gift card

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

Intangible

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Gift cards are not covered by paypal at all.

Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Intangible

Paypal were probably right but for the wrong reason, it was a tangible item but it would come under the category of gift cards as others have said. If you funded your payment with a credit card you may be able to do a bank chargeback.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

Intangible

Technically it is a tangible item, but as others have said, you are not paying for the card, you are paying for the credit which is on the card.

Despite getting something physical in the mail, iTunes cards don't count as tangible.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

Intangible

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It really does not matter whether the iTunes card is tangible or intangible.  It is not depending on anyone's ideas as to whether they are tangiible or intangible as paypal specifically excludes coverage for gift cards and have done so for as long as I can remember.

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

Intangible

Simple reason most likely being, how can you guarantee the value of said card will still be available, someone could use it to whithin an inch of it's life, leave a $2.00 credit on a $50.00 card, and how could you prove who spent what?

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply