Is Ebay deliberately changing the contract of sale conditions

BIG consumer issue with Ebay. Have you noticed more and more discount codes appearing? Discounts are great - right?

Well yes, and no.

A like using PayPal's 'Pay After Delivery' option - 99% of the time.

But my last three transactions have somehow debited me straight away. 

I was positive 'PAD' was selected and on my third purchase I was absolutely sure - but sure enough, it got changed to charge immediately.

So what was the connection? Discount codes!!!

You need to scroll right down the page to apply the code, you conveniently see the final value change and there is the 'SUBMIT' button - click, done.

What you don't see is Ebay has removed PAD and it is no longer available. So you are expecting to pay in 21 days but actually - you will pay in 24hrs.

I have taken screen shots of what happens because after an hour on chat with Ebay - they still don't believe me. 😳 

EBay are saying it is PayPal, Paypal are saying it is Ebay. Now is this a Ebay scam or just a glitch? Either way, it is not ideal.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you read the Terms and Conditions of the ebay discount offers you will see that the items must be paid for through checkout and the payments must be completed before the end o f the offer period.  As most offers only last a matter of days....sometimes only a matter of hours.....you cannot wait for 3 weeks or whatever the Pay after Delivery time is before paying.

I know which I would prefer....I'll take the discount anytime

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I thought that pay after delivery was only in the USA?

When was it ever in Australia?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

It has actually been discontinued in the USA....back in April I believe.

I don't ever remember it being available in Australia but obviously it was at some stage.   Maybe paypal has stopped it in Australia as well?

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I was scratching my head over this one.  I didnt remember seeing it but the old brain matter doesn't always work so well.  More senior moments these days than I wish for. LOL

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

The US had bill me later, which was a credit program.

Aus has pay on delivery which is a deferment program (it's been around for years, and AFAIK is only available to some members who don't have PP funds or a credit / debit card on file - seller gets instant payment, buyer debited later, though I thought it was 2 weeks).

I suspect the issue is that when discount codes are used, part-payment is made by eBay and must be instant.
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

PayPal's 'Pay After Delivery'has been available for years in Australia on lots of differnet retail sites.

Paypal pay the buyer straight away so the issue with completing the Ebay contract of sale is a non issue.

The buyer has 21 days before funds are withdrawn from their account.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

It seems that Paypal's 'Pay After Delivery' is a service that not everyone has access to through Ebay. It depends how you have setup your Paypal account.

The seller gets paid in full straight away and the buyer pays in 21 days.

I have attached a screen shot of my checkout showing the billing option

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply