Is there a three day payment policy on ebay goods?

I had a message From a seller saying that I am in breach of policy because it has been 3 days since I winning the auction. Is there a policy stating so?
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@bronco_johnson wrote:
I emailed the seller before I even bought the item. About what? I told them in the email the day I intended to pay. How far after auction end was your stated payment date? She does not have anything on the listing stating payment terms. Well as mentioned above, payment within 4 days is kind of a given.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 11 of 30
Latest reply

Nice emails , before I even bought it , I asked if it was to wait 5 days. Then 3 days later a rude email
Message 12 of 30
Latest reply

@bronco_johnson wrote:
Nice emails , before I even bought it , I asked if it was to wait 5 days. Then 3 days later a rude email

did she respond before you purcahsed and say "yes, sure, I'm happy to wait 5 days till you make payment"?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 13 of 30
Latest reply

I think you only get 2 days when buying from a US seller before they can open a dispute.

While you might be able to drag out payment to 8 days ie don't pay for 4 days then seller starts a dispute and you pay on the last day of the dispute thus giving yourself 8 days, it isn't a nice way to treat sellers.

I think it is reasonable to expect a buyer to pay within 2 days unless they are waiting for another auction to finish so that they can have both items posted together for a postage discount.

Message 14 of 30
Latest reply

I do agree with you Bump, but usually a buyer would let the seller know that they were waiting for another auction. I'm not surprised that ebay have shortened the time in the US. With Paypal payments there is no reason to make the seller wait.  

One day it will be buy now pay now for all sales which could be pretty dangerous.

Joono
Message 15 of 30
Latest reply

I would look on it as a courtesy email in a way. She is reminding you that you need to pay now, before 4 days are up, or she will be able to open an unpaid items dispute.

It is all very well you emailing her before the end of auction to say that if you win you will pay 5 days after the sale, but there is nothing in ebay that gives you the automatic right to do that. The terms are pay in 4 days or risk trouble.
If the seller agreed to wait 5 days then maybe (if she is a big seller) she has forgotten and you could remind her.

But just telling a seller you intend to pay after 5 days isn't all that reassuring for a seller, how do they know you are genuine?

Probably you are best not to bid unless you can pay right away, unless it is a pick up item.
Message 16 of 30
Latest reply

@j*oono wrote:

I do agree with you Bump, but usually a buyer would let the seller know that they were waiting for another auction. I'm not surprised that ebay have shortened the time in the US. With Paypal payments there is no reason to make the seller wait.  

One day it will be buy now pay now for all sales which could be pretty dangerous.

I knew what I was thinking but didn't put down the words LOL

After asking the seller if they combine postage and offer a discount on combined postage and you have asked the seller if you may bid on several auction finishing over a few days then you should be ok paying a week after the first auction win. 

Message 17 of 30
Latest reply

@bronco_johnson wrote:

Could have been the automatic eBay reminder - I have heard tell that they are pretty blunt ??

then again - 5 days from the date you purchased (Sunday) will be Easter Friday, maybe the seller was concerned about the public holiday holding up payment.

Why not just ring the seller and speak to them so you can let them know you are making payment tomorrow

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 18 of 30
Latest reply

Well, I paid on the 4th day. It was an expensive item. Normally I pay straight away. I am always nice and have 100 percent feedback. I was just asking if there was a policy that's all. I have never waited more than an hour or two to pay, thanks for the input people, cheers Faith x
Message 19 of 30
Latest reply

All members who only buy have 100% feedback.

Message 20 of 30
Latest reply