Issue with Paypal CHECKOUT "message to Seller Box" - and Numpty Seller

Using a different account I bought some kids name label stickers for school from a seller who sells personalised labels. In his listing he states to send your choice of sticker colour, font type and the NAME of the child using the Paypal CHECKOUT or through the Ebay message system. I used the Paypal checkout message to seller section and typed my requirements including the name of my child  which, for example, I typed in this way "GIRLS NAME".

When the stickers arrived they arrived printed with the words ---- GIRLS NAME&QUOT ----. I was shocked he had no quality control system in place to check them for errors since he had to handle them to package them up anyway. I wrote a message to him to say I was disappointed there was a printing error and weren't checked before sending. I sent a photo of the stickers attached to the Ebay message (as you can now attach photos to messages). He replies with  a rude message saying he takes offence to my claim, there was NO photo attached (there was), and that he prints things as typed, regardless of how strange the name may look.

Upon reviewing my Paypal checkout form, I see the error lies in the HTML coding of messages sent through Paypal on checkout using the message system. Where I had typed "GIRLS NAME" using quotation marks, it has then (upon sending), reverted this to html code, coming up as "&QUOT GIRLS NAME &QUOT" . Ie, my quotation marks were reverted to html code so that each quotation mark was transformed into """. So technically he has STILL printed them incorrectly as he only printed the "" at the end of my daughters name, not at the front. Regardless, with over 6 thousand feedback you would think he would be more professional in at least realising there was an error. He has only 5 negs and that was in the last 12 months, none in the previous 6 months, and I had ordered from the same seller TWICE before (a year or 2 ago and everything was perfect). I had no reason to think this time would be different.

My question is, where do I stand with an item "not as described" case, if the seller is unwilling to resolve? Would paypal accept some responsibility for their error in the their message coding system? Would a photo of the stickers suffice to show them it has an error? Would I need a third party to verify this is not as described? Would I win a case? What do you suggest I do. I have sent another photo to the seller's paypal address as he said he didn't receive the first photo, and I have written back to say it's partly Paypals fault for their html coding but please can he understand I didn't really do anything wrong as I followed the instructions in his listing to "send the message to seller upon checkout through paypal" and there was nothing that said to not use quotation marks to mark the beginning and ending of my daughters name (it is common practice to use quotation marks in doing this, - and had I used the Ebay message system instead, I doubt this would have happened).

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Sorry, I really don't know how a PayPal claim would go in these circumstances. Although it's integrated and the message appears in the PayPal account as well as on eBay, the message to seller function is still an eBay system (checkout is on eBay, and it's available no matter which payment method is selected), so I'm not sure PayPal will accept any responsibility for the issue, although I suggest you call them and explain the circumstances, see what they say. 

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Yes I agree, I have now made a claim as he is just being rude and unprofessional in his replies. I am hoping I can go the avenue of "missing parts" in my claim as he has TECHNICALLY still printed incorrectly as he omitted the """ at the FRONT  of the name and he only printed it at the end of the name. If he was being absolutely correct to the detail he should have printed it as,

"&quotGIRLS NAME"" instead of "GIRLS NAME""

So technically I should win on that basis.

I am wondering if I still have the send the labels back. I would rather not, as I could at least cut them up or partially use them and the sellers attitude is quite terrible.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

I am wondering if I still have the send the labels back. I would rather not, as I could at least cut them up or partially use them and the sellers attitude is quite terrible.

If you win the claim you will be required to send them back and pay for the return postage.

If you are able to make some use of them it would have been best to try and negotiate a partial refund from the seller if you wished to keep them.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I was thinking this might be the case. But would a photo be sufficient proof to Paypal they are incorrect or would I need a third party to verify this in writing? I am hoping a photo is proof enough.

In terms of sending back via post with tracking. How can you prove to Paypal that you have actually sent the ITEM in the envelope. What if the seller claims I sent an empty envelope or something? His replies are quite threatening and distasteful and I would not be suprised if he would resort to saying this in order to try to cause trouble. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

elvie - if you're going to put in a claim for SNAD you will need to send the labels back, with tracking, to an address that PayPal will provide you with.  PayPal does make exceptions to this one but only when the cost of returning an item is exhorbitant.  As usual, Jen's advice is very sound:-)

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

Agree that Jen's advice is good, although things seem to have got a bit out of hand which may make it difficult to negotiate things ... also I guess it depends on the $ value ...if its becoming threatening and distasteful and the actual $ are not great (and you say you can at least use part of them) I would just leave a neg and move on.

IMHO from what you have said the seller is in the wrong and I can't understand why they are being so stubborn. They just needed to apply a bit of brain power in the first place. They got it wrong ,,, they should fix it without question. 

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

There is a Report option at the top of ebay messages-USE IT.No one has the right to send threatening & distasteful messages.

JMO but I'd stop all communication with him via ebay.

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Okay so I thought I'd give you an update since Paypal FINALLY resolved the Item not as described case I opened. (Where I went for the claim that he failed to print the "&Quot" at the BEGINNING of the label and he only printed it at the end. Of course I told them of the whole issue and how the Paypal checkout system seems faulty with html coding coming up etc.) After 13 days of waiting they finally resolve the case in the sellers favour and all they say is:

After careful consideration, we're unable to decide this claim in your favour at this time.

The item violates the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy. It's ineligible for PayPal Buyer Protection.

It would be helpful if they could explain HOW it violates Acceptable Use Policy??? I have lost all my faith in the Paypal protection system now. The only real way to use the system is to say Items did not arrive in the mail (if the seller sent without tracking). How does their minimal reply and staetment on the case help me as a buyer understand how to use the resolution process better? I thought I was doing everything correctly, I took painful care to describe the whole situation in simple and clear terms. They didn't even address the Message box html issue. The whole process was a waste of time as they didn't even help me learn anything about the Resolution process so I won't do the same thing next time? Is anyone wiser and can enlighten me?

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Your items were made/printed to order and paypal does not cover those items.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply