Item not as described....

I am sure I am not the first or last to have this problem and ask these questions, however I would appreceaite some feedback here.

I bought a blouse on Ebay recently.  It was advertised as ‘in excellent condition”.   I am only interested items that are new or in great condition so I went ahead, bid on it, and won the auction.

It arrived yesterday with another top and a note from the seller saying  she noticed a “shadow’ mark on the blouse and so she included a second blouse as compensation.   (I neither want nor need the second blouse.)

My problem is that the ‘shadow’ appears to be where someone has tried to clean it with something too strong and it has left a large pale and blotchy mark.  Now, while the seller obviously thinks this is acceptable to wear I certainly do not.   (I wish she had contact me prior to sending the blouse and I would have happily cancelled the purchase.)

I contacted her immediately but, as, yet, I have had no reply.

My questions are:

Is the seller required to pay for return postage?

Do I need to return the item before I can expect a refund? (I am reluctant to do this as I feel I may be putting good money after bad.)

Am I entitled to a make a claim through Paypal if the seller refuses to refund my payment?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Again, thank you - your advice is helpful.

I have made no any threats as I am hopeful of speedy and pleasant  resolution.  I just don't want to be out of pocket for something that, quite simply, is not my doing. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@river_daisy wrote:

I am sure I am not the first or last to have this problem and ask these questions, however I would appreceaite some feedback here.

I bought a blouse on Ebay recently.  It was advertised as ‘in excellent condition”.   I am only interested items that are new or in great condition so I went ahead, bid on it, and won the auction.

It arrived yesterday with another top and a note from the seller saying  she noticed a “shadow’ mark on the blouse and so she included a second blouse as compensation.   (I neither want nor need the second blouse.)

My problem is that the ‘shadow’ appears to be where someone has tried to clean it with something too strong and it has left a large pale and blotchy mark.  Now, while the seller obviously thinks this is acceptable to wear I certainly do not.   (I wish she had contact me prior to sending the blouse and I would have happily cancelled the purchase.)

I contacted her immediately but, as, yet, I have had no reply.

My questions are:

Is the seller required to pay for return postage?

Do I need to return the item before I can expect a refund? (I am reluctant to do this as I feel I may be putting good money after bad.)

Am I entitled to a make a claim through Paypal if the seller refuses to refund my payment?

No.

Yes - trackable

Yes. But you will be required to return by trackable means, at your expense.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply.

You mean there is no inconvience or cost incurred by the seller?   I must pay to (hopefully) get my money refunded - I have read this correctly?   What is to stop the seller putting this item up for sale again, and again, until someone accepts it in its current condition? 

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

That is correct.

But the seller will be out listing fees and sale fees unless you are silly enough to agree to a mutual cancellation.

So it is a lose-lose situation. Which is a compelling reason to sort it out with the seller.

If they don't want to play, you can leave negative feedback, which some sellers seem to value more than money, refuse any request for a mutual cancellation, which costs them money, negotiate a win-not lose outcome.

Being aware that any threat to leave negative feedback can result in negative feedback being removed. It hinges on semantics, or what you actually say.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Again, thank you - your advice is helpful.

I have made no any threats as I am hopeful of speedy and pleasant  resolution.  I just don't want to be out of pocket for something that, quite simply, is not my doing. 

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Unfortunately you will be out of pocket by the amount of the postage when you return the item unless the seller is agreeable to paying it which is not very likely.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

If I have sold an item & missed a problem I always refund the buyer's postage.
It's not their fault I've made a mistake & they shouldn't be out of pocket.
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Update:  The seller has reversed my (full) payment and requested that I accept a  cancelation.  I am happy to do this..

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Win-win

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Hi all, I have some input to add to the discussion regarding who should pay for the return of items. Imo, if a dispute goes to paypal and left upto them to decide the outcome, and the seller is found to be at fault, then the buyer should be refunded not only the item ammount , but the postage also. Why should any buyer be out of pocket for even a red cent when it is found to be not their fault, but some dodgy seller, who probably profited on the postage in the first place as well, so they still gained some money from the poor buyer. Imagine if they do this to multiple buyers each week, there is money to be made, and certain money at that.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply