Item puchased was defect

On 28 Frbruary 2017, I bought from eBay Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Pro Plus, Digital key & download Link #162400184981. The seller indicated in his advertisement that this item can be installed one computer and re-installed if matters arises from resetting the PC.

The item worked OK since then till last week when I had to reset my PC because of some Windows 10 issues. When the PC was finally reset I found several applications was removed and I had to re-install them.

among these applications was the Microsoft Office 2016 purshased from eBay last February. When attempting to install it, Microsoft did not accept the product key number and did not proceed with the installation process.

I contacted the seller last weekend explaining what happed and attached screen shot, but did not get any response from him till now.

Could you kindly please look into the matter and relay my problem to the seller to solve the issue.

Thank you in anticipation.

Esmat Omar.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Item puchased was defect

You are asking members here like yourself not eBay staff.

eBay has nothing to do with the sale that is between you and the seller to sort out.

As it is past the date to dispute the purchase and if the seller is not helping by offering a solution, if you paid with a credit card call you bank and do a chargeback, if you paid with paypal it is too late to go via a dispute there as well.

Some things you should never purchase via eBay.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Item puchased was defect

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is possibly too late for a chargeback through your bank too.

Try contacting Microsoft directly.  If it turns out to be a fake item or sold as having a feature that it did not have Microsoft has been known to fix the problem in return for you giving them all the information on the seller.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Item puchased was defect

Perhaps you are right.

Could you kindly advise to whom Ishould talk and present the case. The seller has totally disappeared.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Item puchased was defect

Thank you for your advice. I'll do my best.

@lyndal1838 wrote:

It is possibly too late for a chargeback through your bank too.

Try contacting Microsoft directly.  If it turns out to be a fake item or sold as having a feature that it did not have Microsoft has been known to fix the problem in return for you giving them all the information on the seller.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Item puchased was defect

Everyone has overlooked the fact that even if this happened a week after purchase, goods delivered digitally are not covered by any buyer protection programs
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Item puchased was defect

The digital goods protection (or lack of it) is an ebay/paypal rule....it does not apply to bank chargebacks.  Due to the timeframe it is most unlikely the OP will be successful in a chargeback anyway as most banks have a timelimit of 3-6 months and only a very few allow longer.

It is also why I suggested contacting Microsoft directly.  In the past Microsoft has been very helpful when buyers have been caught out by fake goods or the sellers are not authorised to sell the items....and particularly when digital delivery is involved.  They do expect to be given all the information that the buyer can give them about the seller.   If the seller has already disappeared from ebay it would indicate that he may have already been brought to Microsoft's attention and thus ebay's.  It would be interesting to know if the seller is NARU.

Edit....interestingly, one of the OP's recent sellers who is NARU was selling Microsoft products/keys.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Item puchased was defect

I was specifically referring to eBay's processes. I'm pretty sure card chargebacks are 120 days. Although where fraud is involved there's no time limit. I've recently had a transaction reversed 12 months after doing it because it was a deposit on a course I enrolled in but never started then the school went bankrupt. As they no longer could provide the service I paid for this was covered. May depend on banks too.

OP would have been better off googling product keys. Easiest way and free.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Item puchased was defect

Not all card chargebacks are 120 days...it depends on your bank or financial institution.

Some are as little as 30 days....a very few are a year.   It is never safe to assume anything.

The paypal dispute time has nothing to do with a bank chargeback....paypal have to accept it any time the bank initiates it.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply