Never buy from Seller in China

Hi all - it is my personal opinion that no one should ever buy from a seller based in China (or Hong Kong). I have been using ebay for a long long time, and have never had a problem with sellers until about a year ago. In the last year I have had many purchases (all small) from sellers in China not succeed - no delivery and wither no reply or lots of excuses - and by the time you have had enough, the 45 days are up. I am certain that this is the ploy of these scam (or incompetent) sellers in China. I also recommend that you do not report them negative as they will only report you as negative - and then they open up a new ebay account elsewhere - this is what I have seen happen.  I would also advise that I have reported this to ebay (direct) about problem sellers in China - I have had no replies from ebay. 

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

cq_tech
Community Member
While some buyers may have had issues with the occasional Chinese seller, the vast majority trade with them quite frequently and very successfully, and I'm one of them. Fewer that 1% of my purchases from China have had issues, and of those only one has proved to be completely dodgy, and I had no trouble leaving him a negative because sellers cannot reciprocate in kind; they can only leave positive feedback or none at all.

As long as buyers pay with Paypal and remain vigilant regarding their 45-day INR cut-off period, there shouldn't be a problem. Most buyers who've allowed themselves to be ripped-off by Chinese sellers only have themselves to blame anyway, usually by not lodging a Paypal dispute in time. Believe me, there are just as many dodgy sellers in Australia as there are elsewhere in the world so buyers need to be on their guard no matter where they buy from.
Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have bought a lot from China and Hong Kong over the years and not had many problems...just the occasional non arrival but I have always had prompt refunds without the need for multitudes of emails backwards and forwards.

Maybe it is because I vet the sellers well before dealing with them.   There are some really good sellers in China and Hong Kong and I would certainly not refuse to buy from them just because some ebayers have problems.

My biggest problem was a seller who sent some cardboard gift boxes in a large satchel....they were squashed to bits.  The seller offered to resend but I was not interested in taking the chance again, and they were only $2.50 for the lot.  I left neutral feedback and the seller did email a couple of times asking me to change it.  I just ignored him and heard no more.

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

While I would never buy an expensive item, nor something that would cost much to return, from China, or anywhere else overseas, I have purchased many cheap items and have generally been more than happy with what I have received. I would never let any seller,Chinese or otherwise, talk me out of opening an item not received dispute well within the 45 days allowed. That is not scamming you, that is persuading you to scam yourself.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

Some of the best sellers I have ever dealt with are in China, and a few of them have even had the opportunity to not do anything about an issue (not talking small dollar value, either, my purchases are often a few hundred dollars worth at a time), but each time I've received exceptional customer service, so while there definitely are some sellers out there that have poor practices and it's wise to be aware of some of the tactics used to delay disputes, refunds etc, not all sellers in China are bad.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

I haven't had many dealings with Chinese sellers but so far I'd say it's been two thirds OK and one third dodgy (complete with terrible product, delaying tactics, flowery promises blah blah blah).  However, I've also had one seller who sent the wrong item and forwarded the right one as soon as I contacted them.  These days I chose what to buy very carefully, and (based on my experiences) I'd say definitely nothing electronic or expensive.

Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

I've only had one bad transaction with a chinese seller - might have had the odd thing not turn up, cant remember, but on the whole - really no problems - I order, they send, and it arrives in good nick and im happy

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

and the chinese seller I had the major dramas with was actually registered ion sydney australia - just his goods came from beijing

so in my book, its not the ones who are overseas I've had trouble with....

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

The cost of returning lower value faulty products to oseas countries - China etc, as required for Paypal claim, can cost the same as the amount of refund due.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

@scala500_123 wrote:

In the last year I have had many purchases (all small) from sellers in China not succeed - no delivery and wither no reply or lots of excuses - and by the time you have had enough, the 45 days are up.

how is it that you have had many purchases from China go beyond the 45 day claim period over the last year?  Surely after one or two you would wise up! 

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply