New Zealander Paying NZ GST on full australian price

chlyon
Community Member

Hi I went to purchase something on email today , price was say $100 shipping was set at $15 I click commit to buy thanks that will be $130 thanks 

We have added NZ GST to the total well thankyou very much for letting me NOT know that before commiting to buy

The issue I have is the Price listed on the ebay.com.au has presumably AUSTRLIAN GST on it already 

SO The price I pay SHOULD be $90.90 + NZ GST (15% ie $104.54 +15 shipping)

YOU EBAY NEED YOUR SELLERS LISTING THEIR PRICE EXCLUDING AU GST 

Thankyou

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Kindly contact eBay and yell at them

Cheers

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Depending on the item/listing/seller the item may or may not have Australian GST added.

Can you post the item number please?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@chlyon wrote:

Hi I went to purchase something on email today , price was say $100 shipping was set at $15 I click commit to buy thanks that will be $130 thanks 

We have added NZ GST to the total well thankyou very much for letting me NOT know that before commiting to buy

The issue I have is the Price listed on the ebay.com.au has presumably AUSTRLIAN GST on it already 

SO The price I pay SHOULD be $90.90 + NZ GST (15% ie $104.54 +15 shipping)

YOU EBAY NEED YOUR SELLERS LISTING THEIR PRICE EXCLUDING AU GST 

Thankyou

There's an awful lot of presumptions in this post....

Are you certain the seller is registered to collect Australian GST? If they're not, there's none being charged in that total except the NZ GST.

Secondly, most conscientious sellers who are registered to collect AU GST are well aware that - because of how eBay is set up - sometimes an international buyer is paying AU-GST inclusive prices, and to work around that they charge lower postage rates to compensate. How do you know the seller isn't doing something like this? It's what I do - I charge less than what international postage costs me in the field marked "postage" because I am registered for GST, so the little extra international buyers are paying for the item price goes towards the rest of the postage costs instead. 

The price of a 500g parcel to NZ through Australia post is $15.20, BTW. Presuming that's the service being charged for, after all is said and done, and the seller pays for packaging, prints labels and pays all fees etc, they'd be getting a lot less than that to cover the cost of shipping. Seems a bit more fair if the seller is registered for GST that way, no? And if they're not, it's a bargain. 🙂 

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Not to mention that by Australian law prices MUST be GST inclusive.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Not to mention that by Australian law prices MUST be GST inclusive.

True, but TBH there are multiple ways to approach that - for example on my website, I can list items ex. GST and then adjust the tax settings for each country I sell to, including Australia - the end result being I could set it up so that Aus buyers can see and pay GST-inclusive prices, while international buyers see and pay GST-exclusive prices (unless I have an obligation to collect a sales tax, VAT or GST from them - I don't actually have it set this way, though, primarily to maintain consistency for buyers with eBay and other platforms, so I continue to set prices already GST inclusive and subsidise international postage with it). 

It is actually an eBay issue in some regards - they managed to implement that kind of system for dealing with sales tax in the US, but eBay was around before the Australian GST, and I suppose sellers here just tended to find their own workaround, generally through subsidising other things when it came to international orders (if they were so inclined - I know not all are).  

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply