New feedback question re delivery arrival times

Hi all, I left some feedback for a seller today & there's a new eBay question that wasn't there last time I left feedback which asks if the item arrived by the last date on the estimated delivery time. I said yes it did.

Without checking I don't recall if it did arrive on that date but I figured if I answered honestly the seller may get into trouble & I didn't want that.

I'm wondering is eBay wanting to give out more penalties if a buyer said no? Or are they attempting to find out if the estimated delivery time is not long enough? I have more feedback to leave soon & I don't know whether it helps the seller if I say yes or no.
Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@cassie135 wrote:

I'm wondering is eBay wanting to give out more penalties if a buyer said no? 

Nothing like that has been announced (yet), but it is eBay's first step towards and attempt to make feedback more objective. 

Quote from an eBay post:

"We know some of you feel like your hard work โ€“ such as delivering a great returns or shipping experience - isnโ€™t always recognized. For example, you might be really efficient and consistent at getting your packages into the mail within your handling time, but you sometimes still receive a โ€˜defectโ€™ when thereโ€™s a postal delay beyond your control. On this particular issue, weโ€™re planning to introduce a new way to measure on-time shipping. This new approach will be used to measure whether you shipped your item on time and is intended to protect you from defects for things outside of your control. When you upload tracking, weโ€™ll check the tracking information. When you ship within your stated handling time, or when the item is delivered within the estimated delivery date, we will recognize you for on-time shipping. When thereโ€™s no tracking available, weโ€™ll check with your buyer. You may have seen a question already, asking buyers if the item arrived by the estimated delivery date, in buyer feedback flows."

Link: http://for-business.ebay.com/trust-delivered-look-forward-ebay%E2%80%99s-head-trust

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Ok thanks I'll just keep saying yes, I don't think the question can be avoided, it's the first question there in the feedback section now. Seriously how much feedback does eBay need. I don't mind leaving it for the seller but the estimated delivery time has to do with the postal service I would think.
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

@cassie135 wrote:
 I don't mind leaving it for the seller but the estimated delivery time has to do with the postal service I would think.

Actually, not even that. eBay's ETA's on listings are almost pure fabrication on their part, and are not aligned with Australia Post's own delivery time frames (nor any courier's really, as they treat all couriers as "express postage" when the reality is they can often take the same time - or longer - than standard mail over long distances). But, there are some counter-measures for that, and many sellers inflate their handling time in order to make the ETAs more realistic. 

I suppose (going by what eBay are currently saying) it just leaves the sellers who don't post with tracking as vulnerable as they ever were. 

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

The question can be ignored or at least it could a few weeks ago
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Ok thanks Harley ๐Ÿ˜Š
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

DG quoted:

you sometimes still receive a โ€˜defectโ€™ when thereโ€™s a postal delay beyond your control. On this particular issue, weโ€™re planning to introduce a new way to measure on-time shipping. This new approach will be used to measure whether you shipped your item on time and is intended to protect you from defects for things outside of your control. When you upload tracking, weโ€™ll check the tracking information. When you ship within your stated handling time, or when the item is delivered within the estimated delivery date, we will recognize you for on-time shipping.

If in the future ebay replaced their star rating (given by the buyer) with an automatic 5 star ebay rating for evidence of an item shipped in the stated time, I would see that as a plus for sellers.

A bit like ebay automatically gives 5 stars now for postage reasonable charges for those offering 'free postage'.

Yes, it does leave sellers who don't have tracking info vulnerable as ebay then says When thereโ€™s no tracking available, weโ€™ll check with your buyer.

But if there is no tracking, what else can they do, I suppose.  It is up to sellers to cover themselves.

The problem though is at present they are asking every buyer this question, even when there is tracking.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

I dont get that question at all (the question from ebay)
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

What a very considerate buyer you are.  You are correct in saying that the actual receipt date of your item is mostly dependent on the delivery service (Australia Post, Courier, etc) and as others here and in other discussions have mentioned, ebay's estimated arrival is exactly that ........ an estimate.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Ebay has lost the plot. I use to sell a few things on here but stopped before Nov last year because of the new rules, just way too many. I have one of my handmade items listed to get an idea on traffic flow really.

I feel sorry for sellers now so I do leave positive & full star feedback for them.

A buyer just wants to purchase an item and a seller sell it. That's it, doesn't have to be so difficult with so many questions, am I happy with my purchase, do I want a refund, now did it arrive on time blah blah etc

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply