Non-Genuine Rolex 6538 (James Bond) Big Crown Submariners - BEWARE!!

In recent weeks there have been at least 4 Non-Genuine Rolex 6538 Big Crown Submariners put up for auction.

The listing heading and description is very carefully worded to give the impression that they are the genuine article, which they are not. At no time do the sellers state clearly that they are not a genuine 6538. 

These watches are cobbled together from non-Rolex components, usually sourced from Asia, and a 1030 calibre movement from a much cheaper 1950s Rolex such as a Rolex 6564.

While a genuine Rolex 6538 Big Crown Submariner usually fetches about $100,000+ (see Chrono24.com), these "Frankenwatches" can be assembled for as little as $2,000 - $4,000, movement included. But buyers are paying between $7,000 and $10,000. One is even on a "Buy Now" for A$30,000, and it doesn't even have a 1030 calibre movement!

These sellers may, or may not, be operating with eBay rules, but they are not operating with transperency or in the spirit that is expected by the eBay community.

I would strongly suggest that if you wish to buy one of these watches, you do your homework and understand exactly what you are what you are about to bid on.  

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If you know these items to be fake, use the report listing link just above the description on the right. You can't sell fake or counterfeit items on eBay.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

You appear to be very concerned on these listings and I would suggest contacting the local branch of Rolex.

Rolex may in turn contact eBay under the VERO program to have all listings removed unless a seller is an authorized reseller of said items.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/tp/vero-rights-owner.html

image host
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

I am sorry but I have very little sympathy with anyone who thinks they are going to get a $100,000 watch for $10,000.  Nobody expects the 'Rolex' they buy from a street vendor to be the genuine article and neither should anyone buying on ebay expect to get such a bargain.

Report the listings if you want, alert Rolex if you want but the one thing you cannot control is the greed of sellers and the stupidity of buyers.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

i think my genuine james bond aston martin db5 might be a fake cos its blue and has toyota corolla on the boot lid.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

image host
Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Are you trying to say that my genuine imitation Rolex bought from the street for $20 isn't real? I feel so ripped off now, utterly dejected and ripped off. I feel so embarrassed and ashamed.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

nah dave, has to be genuine, cause the chinese seller said so.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

I did report the item to eBay. By the time eBay replied the listing had closed.

I don't intend to the the Rolex police. It's buyer beware. I wrote the article to alert those who may be tempted by these watches.

I understand that you're not supposed to sell fakes on eBay, buy stickly speaking these are not fakes. They are carefully worded listings that imply the item is geniune but doesn't say it's not.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

I fully agree with what you say about sellers and buyers.

I know there's a sucker born every minute. That's why the Nigerian scam is still sucking in people after all these years.

The only purpose of the article was to give those people who have little knowledge about vintage Rolexs a heads up.

But in the years I've been an eBay member I've grown to think that it is a relatively safe market place for people to buy and sell. I don't like it when I see it being abused.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply