PayPal Error 3005 - Couldn't pay for Item, now 15% offer is over and I lost US$213

hi all,

Really annoyed, so I thought I'd share with everyone here.

I won an auction for a wristwatch US$2900 on December 26. Everytime I tried to complete the eBay checkout process, PayPal couldn't log in and told me "Temporarily unavailable - error 3005 try again later).

Meanwhile, the 15% offer came up and I applied the coupon code "CELEBRAT2015" to my purchase total - beauty -$213 to the total.

Unfortunately, still couldn't pay as the PayPal would not log in.

A couple of calls to PayPal and eBay - they are blaming each other and no one can pinpoint what the issue is. The PayPal account is active (i've bought other things from online stores since then); just seems to be an eBay=Paypal Link problem.

Long story short: 15% off offer now is over, no more discount for me, but I STILL CAN"T PAY FOR THE ITEM (Paypal is the only payment option and i still Can't complete the transaction).

Very frustrated here!!!

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

PayPal Error 3005 - Couldn't pay for Item, now 15% offer is over and I lost US$213

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you won the item before the Offer was posted then I don't think you would be entitled to it anyway.

The even more annoying part is that ebay has ended the offer early with no notice....there are a few angry buyers out there now.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Put me on that angry list Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

If you phone eBay, I understand they will honour the discount, but only if you call.  What a nightmare !!  Very negative experience for both buyers and sellers !!!

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

It still doesn't solve the OP's PayPal issue. I wonder if the OP has tried paying on his mobile device via the app rather than a computer (or vice versa) if that would make a difference? Could be worth a try.

Someone else was having a similar issue not long back and I can't remember if they came back with an outcome or not. It may have even been in the answer centre.

As for the discount, I am a bit miffed about that too. Good one eBay! Why run an offer for a whole 26 hours? What's the point in that?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

This is a copy and paste of Lyndal's reply to a query in the Answer Centre about a similar thing. Could be worth trying. The buyer didn't come back and say if it worked or not.

"Try logging into your paypal account from your browser instead of going through checkout.  As long as you can get in you will be able to find the transaction there and pay.

Have you messaged the seller to let them know what is happening?"

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Don't fall for paying by other means.

Seller has no feedback as seller.

Not saying it is but possibly hijacked account and the reason for not being able to pay with PayPal is there may be a problem with the sellers account. My PayPal was hacked not so long ago by Russians.

Only pay via PayPal.  Lovely watch by the way. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks everyone. Still working on a solution.
Will post if I get anywhere with PayPal
Happy new year to all!
Message 8 of 8
Latest reply