PayPal payment and then item lost.

Hello,

I would like to know if I am right.

Buy an item from USA, pay by PayPal item shipped. Item never received, contact seller to let him know.

Now the seller shipped with insurance and sent by  USPS P/Mail he has been paid by PayPal what happens after that do I contact PayPal to receive my refund less shipping price, does the seller keep the payment I paid him???

Regards

snowgizz

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

What does the tracking say?

If you win PP case you will get refund for the whole payment including postage.

Have you opened INR case?  Have you escalated to claim?

If it was insured, the seller should claim on his insurance, so nobody will be out of pocket.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Hi again,

The seller will not sell the item as he said to me by email that if lost or damaged he would only receive $46.39 because the USPS for over seas would only insurance for that amount and he would only receive that amount if lost or damaged.

I told him that if this did happen he would still keep his money paid to him by PayPal for the item and I would the clam the said amount back through PayPal.

He would not lost any money at all!!!!!!!

Am I right?????????

John 

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

No you are not right, if the item had arrived damaged you could have claimed back the entire payment you made and the seller would have to refund it from their Paypal account.

If the seller doesn't want to post certain items overseas they should not quote overseas postage and should block sellers from countries they do not post to.

Paypal only pay for claims when the seller has seller protection (very expensive for overseas) for a missing item or if it is not as described Paypal will only pay the refund if the seller has no funds in their account, they will then chase the seller for the money.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Does the seller offer to sell worldwide?  Have you actually bought or is it a rhtorical question?

It all really depends on how the seller sends the item.  I do not know enough about finer details about USPS options, but I regularly buy items worth several hundreds dollars and I am sure the seller would not be so stupid as not to insure for full amount.

It is quite possible that some of the cheaper postage options have insurance only for about $50, but that just means that they have to select more appropriate (more expensive) postage option.

I am sure you can find more info on the USPS site  http://ircalc.usps.gov/

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Hi again,

The seller went to the US post office and ask what the shipping charges would be for an item I wanted to buy. He was given 2 prices. this is what he sent me

Fisrt:      
  Standard shipping & customs is $27.85 + $12.95 Registered mail =
$40.75. Also, no expected date of arrival.

Second:   
Priority mail & customs $48.25 + $12.95 Registered mail = $61.20 with a
6-10 day delivery date.

BUT here is my issue.... Packages sent over
seas can only be insured for loss or damage in the amount of $46.39. So, if the
package is lost, or arrives damaged, PayPal will refund you the $175.00, but I
will have lost the the cowl & gear doors, the shipping expenses and will
only get $46.39 back.

So he is right what he is saying. Funny that all the items I have bought from the USA they can end up in the same boat??

Regards

John

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Priority mail is a USPS service, so obviously they'd intend to use that to post.

If you want to know how much an item can be insured for, the best thing to do is google it.

Here's a google I prepared earlier  😛 

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I do not think your seller has a clue. 

Priority Mail does not need registration as it already has tracking and a certain amount of insurance.

Depending on the value of the item you just need additional insurance.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

as a buyer its not your problem,

If Item doesn't turn up open a paypal dispute and you will get all your money back.

what insurance the seller takes out is up to them. the only thing they can do is to have the cost of registered mail built in to the postage cost

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

I think your seller needs to try a different post office,  Additional insurance is available for US mail, it does require the item be sent priority but the extra cost for cover is actually reasonable IMO,  it does depend on which service you choose, but some offer up to $5000 cover and there is one or two that will offer even higher cover. 

I can understand how daunting it can be if he has never shipped overseas before, Why not suggest he go to the US Answer centre and ask some of the seasoned sellers how best to post and still cover you both. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply