Postage

Hi people,
Any one noticed how some 'Top Rated Sellers' are upping the postage on auction items?
I was looking at some solar powered garden lights, one lot of 18 mtr of lights (100 globes) started at $4.99 but $10.99 postage, next item by same seller, exact same product 'buy it now' price of &16.99 but postage only $2.99 for this item. Me thinks this seller is trying to use postage to lift up his profit margin. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Postage

It's hard to comment on any sellers freight/postage as they/we all have different criteria for working it out.

All I will say is packing time, packaging products and even time taken to post are NOT FREE.

Nor do Aust POst give out stamps, tough bags or other packaging for free.

PAcking and posting are a large expense  for all sellers

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Postage

Perhaps they are charging premium postage to avoid getting neutral feedback about slow postage (which is really out of a sellers control once AP have it) ?:|

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Postage

Hi there Annie,
I think you miss my point, the SAME seller is selling two IDENTICAL items, one by auction one by buy it now. They appear to be trying to make the auction price up by charging more for the postage on that item. I just think its wrong, no one should not charge the correct postage but to over charge is wrong in my book.
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Postage

Ahh koala, glad to see you can be diplomatic as well. ๐Ÿ˜„

I am thinking they may have some cheaper priced items to get a better place in searches.

Cheap starting price at auction and have postage make up a difference. X-( 

Not kosher of course, and the OP here is already not feeling comfortable purchasing. 

Sellers only shoot themselves in the foot with this tactic.

image host
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Postage

here here dreamcaster.

image host
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Postage

For the BIN item the seller may have incorporated some of the postage cost into the selling price.

I think it would be impossible to post a set of lights that size for $2.99.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Postage

So buy the BIN one.

Or bid on the auction and if total price including postage goes over the BIN price, withdraw your bid and buy BIN.

Or find another seller.

If the seller is TRS, then it means they have good feedback and no or few 1 & 2 DSRs. If they are postage pirating, they will soon accumulate enough to lose TRS.

So, it's self-correcting.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Postage

Hi there Annie, I think you miss my point, the SAME seller is selling two IDENTICAL items, one by auction one by buy it now. They appear to be trying to make the auction price up by charging more for the postage on that item. I just think its wrong, no one should not charge the correct postage but to over charge is wrong in my book.

(this turned out to be a long post but there's a bit to say) ๐Ÿ™‚

Unless you know how much it costs to ship something, trying to calculate the correct postage cost is hard. Without knowing how much it costs to send the lights, it seems that by having such a low start price, they actually factored in some of the profit into the postage and hoped the buyer would be taken by such a low starting price. It's a tactic based on perception and they aren't necessarily charging more for postage, perse, as it's the total cost that makes the profit. That's why buyers should always look at the total price they are willing to spend and not worry so much about the seller but appreciate the seller trying to make a profit and using tactics to help that along.

Regarding the increased price of the item for the BIN, it is probably increased by $1-2 to cover the additional final value fees of something that's $15 or more vs. under $3. So, that might be why some sellers put their item price up when drastically reducing the postage; because a higher fee is charged to the seller so the total profit would be about the same as if they were selling it for $3 with a higher postage. I hope that makes sense...

In the end, look at the total you'll be spending. Don't necessarily go just for Top Rated Sellers - take each seller individually and gauge how confident you feel in them and the item. At the end of the day, most sellers seem to be legit. If nothing raises warning bells, go for the cheapest in a condition you're happy with buying.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Postage

messed up the quote... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply