Private Listings & The Effect On Feedback Usefulness

aspidistral*bliss
Community Member

I understand the reason for private listings for things that people might be embarassed to buy but...

It's obvious some sellers are taking advantage and use private listings for ALL their listings, meaning that it is impossible to use their feeback effectively.

For instance I want to buy a dog bed.

One seller that sells them has all their feedback private listings. Plenty of negs and neutrals. But I can't tell which feedback is for these beds. So I can't judge what I will get.

Clearly I'm not going to buy from this seller.

This is really annoying and I question the fact that ebay allows this to occur.

I think private listings should only be available in limited circumstances.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

You missed a bit colic

There is NO reason for sellers to use Priavte Listings on general merchandise, except to be hiding something.

Meaning, that unless the item is particularly sensitive in nature eg Lingerie etc then the seller can have the listings as private, otherwise there is no reason and it looks like the seller is trying to hide something

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

frankly, if your feedback is private, its bad. never buy from someone thats hiding the truth.

Funny thing its not uncommon to see such people around these forums trashing everyones comments and listings..

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

frankly, if your feedback is private, its bad. never buy from someone thats hiding the truth.

---

frankly, and actually, if your f'b is private you cannot sell on eBay.

(private) feedback, as opposed to private listings, is for Buyers only.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

You missed a bit colic

There is NO reason for sellers to use Priavte Listings on general merchandise, except to be hiding something.

Meaning, that unless the item is particularly sensitive in nature eg Lingerie etc then the seller can have the listings as private, otherwise there is no reason and it looks like the seller is trying to hide something

and I think patchoo you missed a bit...this bit 

competitors can undercut general merchandise prices.

By using best offer and keeping your listings private competitors have no idea what the end sale price was

Keh.....???

you may have missed this bit too patchoo...

they are hiding something....

hiding end prices from competitors

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

So to take the stategy to the extreme... if all members listings were private then sellers would not be able set a price point using comparitive end price search strategies (big words for.. a completed listing search)....

How many B and M businesses do you think would supply their sales figures to a general resource pool so that other competitors could work out an average end price ??

It's almost a given though on ebay that prices are set this way and by members inferring that hidden sale prices are nothing but dodgy selling practices the practice of predatory competitor price searches can continue................

So, some of those that hide their end prices with private listings are opting out of the

"completed listing search end price predatory seller" scenario

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

So, some of those that hide their end prices with private listings are opting out of the

"completed listing search end price predatory seller" scenario

Absolute Rubbish. :^O

Private Listings only hide the information in the FEEDBACK PAGE.

The sale prices are still clearly available for all to view from the Completed Listings search.

Look at this example search - a well known seller who lists with Private Listings....

http://tinyurl.com/ctdmbjr

Just an example, and ALL of those are Private... almost 100 of them over the past 2 weeks, which gives a pretty good idea of what the "going rate" is, eh?

The prices are also available by using any number of 3rd party websites that tap into the eBay API and allow searching of prices further back than the nominal 2 weeks that eBay generally shows them for.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

By using best offer and keeping your listings private competitors have no idea what the end sale price was

Keh.....???

you may have missed this bit too patchoo...

they are hiding something....

hiding end prices from competitors

Nope  - you actually missed the bit about the FACT that the prices are all disclosed in Completed Items searches

Keh indeed ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Completed listing search only gives a snapshot of a quite limited period of time - so you can get a glimpse, but you would have to do searches and print out over a number of weeks and months to use for any meaningful analysis.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

Completed listing search only gives a snapshot of a quite limited period of time - so you can get a glimpse, but you would have to do searches and print out over a number of weeks and months to use for any meaningful analysis.

Yeah, but the prices paid in the past are of limited "value" anyway.

It'd still take ages to go trawling back through the seller's feedback, eh!

But why bother doing either searching manually? Just subscribe to a service like Terapeak and get all that info on the past 12 months of pricing, plus much more, handed to you on a plate:

http://www.terapeak.com/products/terapeak/seller-research

Anyway, as I said... sellers who use Private Listings are suspect, because they don't allow BUYERS to research the feedback on items that have been sold. If the seller has 100% feedback, then fair enough... but if they have (say) 98% feedback wouldn't you want to read the feedback about the item was (both good or bad)?

http://www.feedbackselector.com/  << Try that... a good trick ๐Ÿ™‚

Now, maybe somebody can explain to me... why would a Seller want to hide all the Buyer's Feedback for their generic items?

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Nope  - you actually missed the bit about the FACT that the prices are all disclosed in Completed Items searches

Keh indeed ๐Ÿ˜‰

Keh indeed coops it's great having a price...say 24,80.........it's useless however when you do not know what the product was...and that's a fact....

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply