Problems with Australia Post and consequently PayPal

I live in a suburb in a street in a house with a number and Australia Post deliver to me whenever they feel like getting round to it. (I thought I'd clarify my living situation because when I complained to Australia Post, they said, "Perhaps you live in a country area or in a high rise apartment?" Erm....perhaps I DON'T!) I bought nine books from the UK over a month ago and they're just starting to come through now. A letter from California took two weeks, and a parcel from NSW (to Adelaide) took over a week. Other letters have just never arrived at all.

Coincidentally, I was chatting to a random stranger yesterday who mentioned that he was a manager at the GPO, so I told him what was going on with my mail delivery and he said that with all the e-commerce these days, Australia Post are swamped and can't keep up with all the parcels. Too bad, so sad for Australia Post - figure it out - I want my stuff! But my thing is, I'm waiting on an item from the UK that I purchased on eBay over a month ago and so now I'm at a point where I'm thinking do I prepare to lodge an "item not received" with PayPal? I mean, maybe the seller sent it, maybe they didn't. Maybe the parcel is gathering cobwebs at Australia Post, maybe it isn't. PayPal give more than enough time for an item to arrive (even from China, with a mail service akin to the Pony Express) but Australia Post in all its efficient glory have blown that out of the water.

I mean, essentially, I will lodge a not received, but if Australia Post don't lift their f---ing game, this is going to be a real headache for sellers, and eBay Australia in general. Already there are international sellers who don't want to sell to Australia and if I can't get what I want from eBay, I'll just go somewhere else. Awhile ago I ordered something from China that never arrived so I lodged a not received and got a refund. Some time later the item turned up and I repaid, but not everyone is going to do that. I think this is a concern that eBay/PayPal should be looking at.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

rumplebear1951
Community Member

I bought nine books from the UK over a month ago and they're just starting to come through now. A letter from California took two weeks, and a parcel from NSW (to Adelaide) took over a week. Other letters have just never arrived at all.

I am sorry but I do not understand why you are complaining...those postage times seem reasonable...I have had parcels take up to six weeks to arrive from the UK and a fortnight for a parcel from Canada is very good...internal mail can take anything up to 2 weeks for interstate deliveries...even mail in the same state can take a week.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Rumplebear is correct that while these delivery timeframes do sound a little excessive they are not necessarily outside the average expected delivery timeframe.

I can certainly understand your frustration with the inconsistency and the delays, and if you have found some items not arriving at all, an investigation should be logged to sort out the issues.

You mentioned having spoken to us before, was a file ever raised on those occasions?

Alice

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

redbook3
Community Member

hi taco,

I would just open up "item not received" cases as a matter of course for any item getting close to the cut off whether from o/s or here in Australia.

You can always send a courteous email to the seller explaining the situation and as you have done already, close the case or repay if and when the item arrives

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Just because you bought something X weeks ago does not mean it was posted the same day.  To start with the payment can take up to a week to clear if you used e-cheque as a payment method.  I have had on several occasions "instant" payment take several days to clear.  And not all sellers rush out to the PO the moment the payment clears.

In UK, in preparation for the Olympics, there is heightened security everywhere, including with mail going on planes; so there is a great possibility there is a delay with mail there.

And if parcel was coming from country NSW to SA by road, that would definately take a week.

I am sure that your local PO is not deliberately sitting on your mail.  They deliver it when they get it.

By the way, I am sure there is no such a thing as GPO anymore ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Sounds more like your area is having trouble getting, keeping or affording the wages for enough posties.

With all the parcels from china paying AP pittance, it's no wonder they have too much to do, not enough money, and must keep putting our postage up to outragous rates!

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Tack-o-rama - There are still GPOs and they're in every capital city in Australia:-)

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Tack-o-rama - There are still GPOs and they're in every capital city in Australia

IT was Kazumi that said there wasn't, not Tack-o-rama

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

next time I think I might be helping someone, I'll keep it to myself.

You weren't actually helping anyone, you came on to have a rant at Australia Post and then resorted to name calling when people disagreed..

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

No sensible seller will think anything of it if you open an item not received dispute after about 4 weeks, you can still give it another 2 weeks before escalating to a claim.

Parcels from the UK are as relaible as a lotto number picker, I have had parcels that have arrived in three days and others that have taken six weeks. If it is something that is going to stress you out then don't buy fr4om overseas.

If you purchaser on a well known book site in the UK you may get your books in a few days as they are using Royal Mail or they may be posted from their German distribution centre and then they will take anything up to three weeks.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply