Purchased two concert tickets for $99. Now.seller says it was a mistake and tickets are $99 each.

kazlmeg
Community Member

Two days ago (30.01.14)  I purchased two Bronze Reserve tickets to the Rolling Stones Adelaide concert. They were listed  "Buy It Now" for $99 and it clearly stated in the item description that it was two tickets (description from origininal listing inserted below).

Event: The Rolling Stones 
Date: Saturday 22 March 2014

Venue: 

Adelaide Oval

North Adelaide SA 5006

Section: S528
Row: N
Seats: 11-12
Price Category: Bronze Reserve

Two bronze tickets to the Rolling Stones at Adelaide Oval.

Tickets will be express posted once mail out begins from Ticketek.

I even contacted the seller when making the purchase to confirm that it was for two tickets and received no response. I paid for the tickets via PayPal the same day.

Yesterday (31.01.14) I received a message from the seller which stated tickets would be delivered in early March. He then asked how I would be paying for them, to which I replied, I already had. There was no further contact......until today!

He has now sent a message claiming he "messed up" the listing and it wasn't $99 for both tickets, it was $99 for each. He has asked me to pay another $99 if I want the two tickets or has offered me a refund.

I need some advice about the best way to proceed from here and what my rights are. Is claiming you "messed up" the listing and "can't afford to sell them for $99" a valid reason for backing out or is he required to proceed with the sale? Should I try negotiating with him and see if we can agree on a price we are both happy with? I don't really want to be refunded as the concert is sold out and I'm a huge Rolling Stones fan.

I don't want to lose the tickets but I don't want to have to pay for his mistake either! Can someone please help me?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Purchased two concert tickets for $99. Now.seller says it was a mistake and tickets are $99 each.

If the listing stated it was for two tickets the seller can not now claim a mistake. Seen as though you have already paid via same means e.g. PayPal, wait 40 days to see if tickets arrive, if not, raise a Item Not Received Dispute through Paypal to get your money back. However keep in mind that concert tickets fall into the same catergory as mobile phones on ebay -DONT BUY THESE ITEMS ON EBAY.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

The seller doesn't have to sell you the tickets if they don't wish too even though the seller has made an error in the listing.Also how do you know that you are purchasing genuine concert tickets that once you get them and then go to the concert and then you get told sorry but your tickets are void? But the bottom line is no the seller doesn't have to sell to you and all you can do if the sale doesn't go ahead is leave a negative feedback.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Are they experienced sellers? If they are leave them neg feedback, report them for seller non performance and open an item not received dispute with Paypal although there are restrictions on buyer protection for tickets.

If they are not experienced sellers I would just ask them for a refund, too risky paying for another ticket in a separate transaction.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I'd be upset too, if someone ignored my questions prior to the end of the auction, then claimed to have messed up.

it's dodgy.

You asked if it was for 2 tickets, so this seller had to know and could have changed the listing or pulled it, saying it was no longer available.

--------------------------------

In reply to bsal6160, I would say in general you are right. I have heard of people buying tickets then finding the seller had already had a refund for them or some such thing.

But there can be exceptions. My daughter recently sold an INXS ticket for a little less than cost price, simply because she will be in the latter stages of pregnancy and didn't want to stand for hours through the concert. So there can be genuine sales. Perhaps it would work best if people picked up tickets in person or checked with the venue first that the ticket is valid, I am not sure.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I'd be upset too, if someone ignored my questions prior to the end of the auction, then claimed to have messed up.

it's dodgy.

You asked if it was for 2 tickets, so this seller had to know and could have changed the listing or pulled it, saying it was no longer available.

It was a BIN listing, by the look of it. And the buyer said they asked if it was both tickets "when making the purchase", but didn't receive a response, then paid the same day - it sounds to me like they bought, asked to confirm that they were indeed two tickets, then paid a bit later on after receiving no answer, which is fair enough, the listing did say two tickets.... 

But at the same time I think that $99 had a very good chance of being a mistake, and it stands to reason the OP though so too since they asked to make sure but didn't wait to find out before buying (they were listed for less than an hour before being sold), and also bought two lower value tickets to the same concert the next day for $209. 

The selller has been on eBay for a few years, but only sold a handful of items, the last one back in 2011. As others have pointed out, officially they are supposed to honour the sale, but practically it's unlikely you can force them to, and personally, I would be willing to cut the seller some slack here.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply