Repaying an overseas Seller

I received a refund after an item didn't turn up.  Weeks later it did and it has always been my policy to repay sellers when that happens. I had to look up how to do it this time as it seems more complicated and the answer was to request a funds request from the seller through PayPal....so I contacted the seller and made the request.

Unfortunately the seller is in China and I've just received this (to me anyway) rather confusing reply:

Dear buyer,
Just make a same order and pay for it , then leave a message to us for refund the money to us .Have a good time.God bless you and your family[Admire]
Please note that you must leave a message under the order, thank you.

They don't appear to be selling the item I purchased anymore.

I can't make any sense of the reply and I don't know what to do.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Ask them to provide their Paypal email address. If they can't or won't understand that, then you probably have no options to repay them.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

I received a refund after an item didn't turn up.  Weeks later it did and it has always been my policy to repay sellers when that happens. I had to look up how to do it this time as it seems more complicated and the answer was to request a funds request from the seller through PayPal....so I contacted the seller and made the request.

Unfortunately the seller is in China and I've just received this (to me anyway) rather confusing reply:

Dear buyer,
Just make a same order and pay for it , then leave a message to us for refund the money to us .Have a good time.God bless you and your family[Admire]
Please note that you must leave a message under the order, thank you.

They don't appear to be selling the item I purchased anymore.

I can't make any sense of the reply and I don't know what to do.  Any ideas?

-------------------------------------------------------

If they don't know that they don't have the same item that your purchased, perhaps they just want you to purchase an item to the same value as the one previously purchased. So maybe just find an item that is roughly the same value as the total cost (incl shipping) as the one that arrived, C&P what seller told you and advise them that you have made this purchase to cover what you feel you owe. 

Seller may have limited English but the clue is in "[Admire]" So by that reaction, this seller obviously understands what you want to do.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

This happened to me too and luckily the seller's message with their PayPal email address was not blocked by eBay, so I could easily repay them.  Once you have their PP email address, you just have to send them the money from within PayPal (there is a "send money" link).

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks to both replies re seller's email requiremen.

I'll give that a try and hopefully eBay will allow them to give me their email details.  Just thought of something else  -If I just send the amount I paid to them, is the GST automatically included or do I have to send the full amount including GST?

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Good question. I don't know for sure, but I think GST is applied on eBay and other selling platforms that make more than a certain amount of money selling to Australia and have to register for GST. If you send the money again to the seller and the seller is a small seller who doesn't have to register for GST, maybe you don't have to pay, as the transaction is not really part of eBay any more. I am not sure though.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

It's not s small seller - it's one of those Chinese sellers that sell inexpensive but very varied items possibly by the gazillions (....and quite possibly under different seller IDs). 😉

I hope someone knows the answer or where to find it (I haven't had any luck so far) as I don't want to make a mistake!

Sigh.  I remember when repaying a seller was MUCH less complicated.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

I think you would have to ask the seller if they are registered for GST.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I would repay the original amount you paid. GST shouldn't come into your calculations.

If you paid $100 from your funding source, that is what you repay.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Personally, when I repaid a couple of sellers from overseas and asked them for their PP email address, I remember that I also asked them how much I had to send them , and that was it for me. I didn't think about GST to be honest. They were in the USA and the UK , and not big sellers, but rather small private sellers who sold personal items, so I don't think GST would have been payable anyway.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply