Seller cancelled the sale after I paid but hasn't refunded my money.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@not.the.kingswood,

It has been quite a while since eBay owned PayPal (2015, to be exact).

Even when eBay owned PayPal, buyers could not open both an eBay case and a PayPal case for a refund. It was and is explictly outlined in its policies, that this was not permitted.

In the current policy for eBay's Money Back Guarantee, it is stated several times. It's even described unambiguously as abusive buyer behaviour. I'll rubricate the instances in the quoted material below:

Loss of coverage

Even if a transaction is eligible for eBay Money Back Guarantee, buyers can lose protection if they voluntarily close a request or case, open duplicate claims using other resolution methods, or engage in fraudulent or abusive buying behaviour.

Duplicate claims

A buyer may not seek resolution for the same transaction under more than one buyer protection program. eBay may close a buyer's eBay Money Back Guarantee case if the buyer files a chargeback or buyer protection claim for the same transaction with their payment provider (such as a credit card issuer or payment service provider), regardless of whether the chargeback or buyer protection claim is for the full or partial amount of the transaction.

If a seller loses a chargeback, they may be eligible for payment dispute seller protections.

Fraudulent or abusive buyer behaviour

Buyers will not be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee if they make fraudulent claims or engage in activity as described in the Abusive buyer policy. This includes, but is not limited to:

• Colluding with a seller to wrongly declare an item's value for customs
  • Colluding with a seller to wrongly declare an item's value for customs
  • Filing a chargeback after receiving a refund
  • Claiming an item was not received when there is proof of delivery to the address provided on the Order details page
  • Falsely claiming an item was not as described
  • Opening duplicate cases using other buyer protection programs
  • Returning an item other than the original item received
  • Using or damaging an item and then returning it.

In addition to the consequences described in the User Agreement, we reserve the right to indefinitely suspend an individual's coverage under eBay Money Back Guarantee and impose any other sanctions we may deem necessary including issuing warnings, blocking a buyer's ability to request returns or refunds on eBay and account suspension.

In other words, you must never open another case through some other means for the same transaction. By opening a PayPal casewhen you'd already opened an eBay case/refund request, your easiest resolution method is now closed. Permanently. eBay are highly unlikely to reopen it; they are more likely to put you on their radar so that if something like this occurs again (or anything which eBay deem to be abusive buyer behaviour), your ability to open a Money Back Guarantee case in the future may be limited.

What you should have done, of course, is open an eBay request for refund on the basis of INR (Item Not Received) once the EDD (latest Estimated Deliveery Date) had passed, and let that play out. If the seller hadn't voluntarily refunded you after 3 days (that is, 3 days after your opening the request), you could have asked ebay to step in, which would have meant a refund for you and a spanking for the seller.

But the PayPal request should be successful. Just let it take its time. Make sure you check the status of the dispute/case within PayPal; make sure you don't let any deadlines float past; make sure you don't close it until everything is resolved.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

To keep a long story short……

you will get a refund via PayPal once the ETA has passed. PayPal will have knowledge of this through the transaction.

You won’t have to do anything. Don’t close the case, but keep an eye on it, in case you need to respond to anything to do with it.

** Sellers don’t have to go ahead with the sale. Even after you’ve paid.  At least your seller msg you and let you know why they cancelled.  

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@not.the.kingswood wrote:

Not to worry padi, it was the 'tone' of the response.

The ' tone ' of the response. LOL

Telling the facts - and asking you to be patient is ' belittling '.

Oh brother.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

I couldn't work out which "response" they were talking about Dom........😂

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you for your kind response. 

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

I came here as a buyer with a genuine post. I didn’t expect to be ambushed like I’m a criminal. 

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@not.the.kingswood wrote:

I came here as a buyer with a genuine post. I didn’t expect to be ambushed like I’m a criminal. 

Good - because you weren't.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Hello,everyone. To be respectful is very important in your interaction with other members here. I'd like to remind you that content that is harmful, hostile, threatening, abusive, baiting, vulgar, defamatory, harassing, or includes hate or racist speech, name calling, or profanity will be edited or removed.  Please read about our policy here: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Community-Feedback/Updates-coming-to-eBay-com-au-Discussion-Boards/... Thanks very much. 🙂

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I'd say as long as you keep the paypal dispute open and keep an eye on it, there is no reason why you shouldn't get a full refund. The seller might not even respond and they certainly can't provide a tracking number, so you should not have a problem winning.

The only reason I know anything much about opening claims is because of what I have read on these boards. I had no idea in the past that a person should open an ebay claim first and if that fails, then they should move on to a paypal claim.

I think it is possible to be on ebay for years and only have a vague idea of some areas because they have never applied to any previous transactions.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you for helping others to comprehend what happened to me.

I had no idea that I couldn’t have a case on both platforms until I opened them. I never had the need to seek compensation, ever.

As the seller won’t be able to supply a tracking number I have faith that PayPal will refund me. 

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply