Seller from UK trying to overcharge on postage to AU on auction won.

Hello, I have a story to tell if those want to read it.  There is a collectible that I've been looking to purchase from a seller in the UK thats only available in the uk, I saw an auction & asked offline if he would ship to AU he said yes.  The auction had a listing of GBP10.00 with a buy it now of GBP 20.00 postage extra.  I had missed out on bidding on the auction however asked him via message how much he'd be willing to sell without ebay. he said GBP 25.00 and wouldn't budge on the price, fair enough.  I told him Id try to bid for a lesser price & he tried to get me to buy now to not waste time bidding on item, Even sending paypal address so that I would send payment right away. 

He relisted & with the same starting price & buy it now, I bid on it and won for GBP 10.00.  I receive an invoice for a grand total of GBP 22.00 which is GBP 12.00 for postage to AU more then the actual items i bid on.  Bare in mind I have purchased many items from the UK to AU, some same size figures only more (i'm buying just 2 of these figures) in quantity for GBP 5.00+.  I even purchased a construct a bot wall-e in a box for GBP 8.10.  I brought this up to him and he begins to get testy with me giving me all kinds of reasons and excuses for why the price is GBP 12.00 even requesting I cancel transaction & bringing up that the offer he gave me outside of ebay was how much postage was going to be.  Also tells me cost of box, bubble wrap even the post office he sending it to.  I know for a fact that something that small doesn't cost the amount he's requesting yet he insists that either I pay it or he won't deal with me.  I had been willing to offer as much as GBP 7.50 which should be sufficient enough for postage & refuses.  I know I'm being overcharged for postage & he even knows yet he refuses to admit to it. I know he's just looking to get as much money for his figures as possible.

I find it very disrespectful of his practices & I would cancel transaction but I want the items I bid on.  I just hate being taken for a fool and being overcharged. As a seller I know that getting to the post office & whatever you use to ship item(s) out is your responsibility, anything extra should be told to the buyer if he wants to pay more, a seller shouldn't expect buyer to pay more because of the hassle the seller goes thru, you list it on ebay KNOWING all the things you must do to ship/sell so it shouldn't be a surprise. He claims tracking & signature are a reason too & said he doesn't want to ship on the cheap.  I told him it should be MY choice to ship certain way as they would be my figures once paid. He doesn't acknowledge that either.

I'm not sure what to do, he sounds like a smug scammer & automatically expects buyers to pay what he says based on his word.  I want the items I just would feel like a moron accepting to pay his outrageous postage fee.  I feel that if I do accept to pay his price that I should demand proof be sent along or be seen on the package & if the total amount doesn't equal the amount he asked me to pay then I should take the appropriate actions on him.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 139
Latest reply
138 REPLIES 138

and at #2, are they apostophes or inch doobies

Here you go (because wiki knows all)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_%28symbol%29

I learnt two things today in here - how to make a £ symbol and that an inch doobie is actually called Double Prime!

Message 101 of 139
Latest reply

There is four things that I have learnt in here-

N1. That it is not against eBay policy to have two accounts so long as there is no interaction between the two accounts or ISP. So does this mean that someone can make another account down the road at a mates place and bid on an item they listed without being traced? If so, that is wrong!

N2. How to make a pound sign (I saved it in my email drafts). Thanks Chezzy?

N3. That the inch doobie is called double prime.

N4. That being a seller must be hard on eBay, especially with rude and demanding customers like the buyer.

Message 102 of 139
Latest reply

trusted, you can have 2 or more accounts being used on the same computer but they must not interact with each other.  You can also have up to 8 IDs attached to the one paypal account.

There is no need to go down the road to a mate's place to use your other IDs.Smiley LOL

Ebay does know when you have multiple IDs so would soon put 2 and 2 together even if the IDs were used on different computers.

Message 103 of 139
Latest reply

One would have to use a bogus name to get away with it. 🙂
Message 104 of 139
Latest reply

Perhaps I should rephrase that-
N1. That it is not against eBay policy to have two accounts so long as there is no interaction between the two accounts or ISP when bidding at auction. So does this mean that someone can make another account down the road at a mates place and bid on an item they listed without being traced? If so, that is wrong!

CQ_Tech-
I had already thought about the false name thing before I posted, let's face it. A ten year old child could do that on the internet. I am pretty sure you can have an eBay account without Paypal or even a bank set-up yeah?

I think something must be done about that as I am already worried enough about bidding at action without adding another factor to it.

Message 105 of 139
Latest reply

What is more important though (as I am not a seller) is- can the seller see how much the maximum bid you are willing to pay at auction?

Sorry bout the attempted thread hi-jack all, maybe I should make another thread but this is top secret information. Smiley LOL

Message 106 of 139
Latest reply

No they can't

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 107 of 139
Latest reply

If your reply is relating to whether or not sellers can see the maximum bid you are willing to pay- Thank the lord then. Smiley LOL

Still doesn't stop a seller ringing his mate up and telling him to bid on an item because he thinks the buyer has a higher maximum bid though.

Maybe the auctions are not as set-up as first thought.

Message 108 of 139
Latest reply

Buyers who complain about postal charges sellers are making are usually the same type of buyers who come to the boards seeking the 'cheapest postage' possible when they have to return an item, bit of a laugh really.

Or it would be if this buyer wasn't a complete *******

Message 109 of 139
Latest reply

@chezzy wrote:

and at #2, are they apostophes or inch doobies

Here you go (because wiki knows all)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_%28symbol%29

I learnt two things today in here - how to make a £ symbol and that an inch doobie is actually called Double Prime!

well, you will now be able to sleep so much better at night time, eh?

LOLOLOL

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 110 of 139
Latest reply