Seller warranty vs ebay/paypal policy vs ACL

Hi all,

I purchased an alternator about 10 months ago and it failed early January. I contacted the seller for a warranty replacement and they tell me they can provide one at a discounted price and I asked them "why do I need to pay for it??" and their response "warranty is 2 months". I was **bleep**.

I contacted ebay support and they tell me they can't do anything about it because 1. the seller has set their warranty (not mentioned anywhere on the listing or their store) 2. over the ebay 30 day money back guarantee and 180 day paypal money back guarantee

The only solution support provided was to negotiate with the seller. The ACL seems to be a grey area with ebay listings.

Anything I can do to get my money back?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Whether you have a genuine and enforcable warranty depends on who and where you bought the product. If the seller was from another country, or was not a registered reseller for the company then you are lucky that they are willing to work with you at all. If  they are an Australian company then you could make a complaint to the ACCC .

Generally you should not expect a real warranty when buying off Ebay. It can be better to buy expensive products from a brick and mortar store.

Check out the ACCC website to see if you have a case.

Latest reply

being registered in Bahrain will complicate things

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

It seems the seller is based in china but has a store here. It's called REMOVED, they sell a lot of auto parts.

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Checking their listings they state a 2 year warranty in the Item Specifics Section. Personally I would just write it off and not refit another of their alternators as the cost of fitment and inconvenience would outway the cost of a bosch or nippon denso alternator. 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

@vongy10 wrote:

It seems the seller is based in china but has a store here. It's called 999aps, they sell a lot of auto parts.

If the seller is in China there is no enforceable warranty in Australia. The ACCC has no jurisdiction and as you said your eBay and Paypal dispute timeframes have expired.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

@vongy10 wrote:

The only solution support provided was to negotiate with the seller. The ACL seems to be a grey area with ebay listings.

Warranties are voluntary, but enforceable if offered and not void - eBay is a grey area because many manufacturer warranties are void when not sold by an authorised retailer, and many items here are grey imports, and / or sellers on eBay are not authorised retailers. Warranties can be offered by the seller or retailer instead (also voluntary), and they are also enforceable if offered, but realistically only if the seller is an Australian business and you are prepared to go through legal channels if the seller is refusing to honour the warranty. As this particular seller is not in Aus, attempting to enforce a warranty claim will be somewhere between extremely difficult to impossible.

While there will be sellers on eBay from Australia who are fully prepared to honour warranties, you can really only be sure they are an authorised seller (and therefore any manufacturer warranty will be valid) if they have established credentials (so to speak, eg large, recognisable and national retailers, or retailers who supply confirmation in some way they are authorised retailers).  Any mention of warranties (seller-offered or otherwise), from other sellers, should unfortunately be taken with a grain or two of salt - and dismissed entirely if the seller is located internationally (in terms of it factoring into any purchase decisions, at the very least). Consumer guarantees will apply to purchases from registered Australian businesses regardless of whether warranties are offered or not, though. 

PayPal doesn't enforce warranty claims BTW, they only provide protection for items in their received condition - if it breaks after 5 months of normal use for example, it isn't covered under their protection policy. 

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Thank you for the responses.

Guess I'll take it as a loss and lesson learnt.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

sorry for bring this one up

what to do if you make agreement with seller and he say  send it back and I will refund you , and he dos not refund you ?

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

You've fallen for one of the commonest cons on eBay, so unless you can open a dispute with eBay and prove that you sent the item back you've lost your money.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 11
Latest reply